Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,623   Online: 976

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

LensWork - July/August

I just picked up the July/August LensWork (we finally got it on the shelves today).

I don't buy every issue, but the portfolio by Alan Ross was just too good to pass up - his work is the kind of B&W that interests me. Great tonal range - I wonder what type of film he uses.

I almost didn't buy it because of that horrible portfolio by Michael Evans. The images are flat, lacking emotion, and just plan blah..... Sad to see that Brooks would publish such a second rate portfolio as this.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have not seen it yet. Lenswork usually has some great inspiring work in there. I'll have to go out and find me a copy tommorrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like Lenswork better when it pushes a little harder. The Ross and Evans portfoios look like they could easily have been made in 1935, not just physically but sensibility-wise as well. For a "newer" art form, photography often seems so static, compared to, say, music or films or painting or sculpture or architecture...

I was happy to see the writeup on the Seven Days project.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    I like Lenswork better when it pushes a little harder. The Ross and Evans portfoios look like they could easily have been made in 1935, not just physically but sensibility-wise as well.
    Except the Evens portfolio was shot with a D70.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    ...of facades and details dating from 1905 or earlier. The abscence of human presence in both sets of work is saddening, It does not reveal, does not disturb the status quo -- pictures of (and for) bank walls.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I liked Evans work, but didn't like the seven days in Romania thing at all. Except for family snaps, I don't like any pictures with people in them.

Ross's work is outstanding, I have one of his prints.

Different strokes....

Mike

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting that this thread would show up this morning. As I was driving to work I was thinking about the Evans portfolio and that there was something about it that I just didn't like. It seemed a bit artificial to me. Almost manufactured. Normally I like most if not all of what Lenswork publishes but this one I don't care for.

Regards,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I've not received my copy yet so I've not had a chance to view the issue, so

I'm curious why what kind of camera Evens used/uses is signifigant.

Maybe if he had used a full frame DSLR they would have been better?
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga
    I've not received my copy yet so I've not had a chance to view the issue, so

I'm curious why what kind of camera Evens used/uses is signifigant.

Maybe if he had used a full frame DSLR they would have been better?
    Perhaps if he used film and learned how to print.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It think it is unusual to see San Francisco portrayed in such a gloomy manner. Having read the introduction to the section, I wonder if the pictures might be a very good representation of the photographer's state of mind!

Since Lenswork goes to considerable lengths to reproduce the original, I have to assume that the odd tones were intentional. Some of them are visual equivalents to fingernails on a chalkboard at first look. I will be interested to see how they feel in a couple of months.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin