Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,285   Posts: 1,535,262   Online: 936

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congratulations Scott!
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Well done Scott, and best of luck!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, I had the reception this afternoon. It was a great success. I sold a print, met a potential portrait client, and got invited back to present at future dates. I also got an invitation to be one of their presenters at a future "Artists Weekend" where they will bring in local artists to demonstrate their techniques. This would be a paying job. Needless to say, I'm thrilled with the opportunity!

I must put in my plug for the Hotel Palomar here. They are going out of their way to promote the local arts scene - they want to be known as "The Arts Hotel". If you have the opportunity to stay in one - they are part of the Kimpton Group of hotels - I would encourage you to give them a look-see.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry I missed it, but I was still meeting with my boss at 5:30 in Falls Church.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm going to talk to the hotel about maybe making this from 5:30 to 6:30 or 6 to 7 instead... the 5-6 thing is a bit hard for a lot of folks to make.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would really help. Most people in this town are still working at 5, and the target audience for fine art photography is likely to work later.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think they forget, since they're a hotel, and they intend to draw hotel guests... not all of whom are there on business travel.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    More notes on the hotel reception concept -

1. Free wine. 'nuff said.

2. The hotel Palomar in DC already has a list of about 160 artists they plan to invite through. It encompasses the entire range of artforms, from photography and painting/drawing to glass, other 2d/3d artforms, and performing arts - mostly musicians I suspect, but if you or someone you know is a poet/writer, it wouldn't hurt to inquire about doing a reading. I'll post again when I hear more about the teaching opportunity and when I have a class scheduled. Plan on it being a pt/pd/other alt process printing class (perhaps Cyanotype, just to keep the chemistry simple).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I'm going to talk to the hotel about maybe making this from 5:30 to 6:30 or 6 to 7 instead... the 5-6 thing is a bit hard for a lot of folks to make.
    It's hard for anyone to make. 6 to 7 is impossible for anyone who doesn't work downtown. Before 6? You must be kidding.

The Kennedy Center and the Washington Performing Arts Society understand this well. This is why almost all performances begin at 8 PM. Even the Kirov's performance of 'Parsifal' began at 7.

Unless the Palomar is serving dinner they need to schedule it way outside the happy hour time frame.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I must put in my plug for the Hotel Palomar here. They are going out of their way to promote the local arts scene - they want to be known as "The Arts Hotel". If you have the opportunity to stay in one - they are part of the Kimpton Group of hotels - I would encourage you to give them a look-see.
    Does this have anything to do with their physical proximity to the Phillips Collection and all the galleries in the Dupont Circle neighborhood?

There used to be a lovely little hotel with an excellent restaurant called the Intrigue. It was known as the hotel for the performing arts, as it was just down New Hampshire from the Kennedy Center. Its restaurant was one of the few places open after the theater and we used to love going there after a concert, where we would often see many of the performers having supper. I don't think it's around anymore. Sounds like Kimpton is trying to establish the same theme.

I hope the Palomar succeeds. It sounds like they're off to a good start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin