Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,845   Online: 1003

Shooter
    Multi Format

AA in the Southern Tier

For those of you who live in Upstate NY, and aren't tired of the man, the Rockwell Museum of Western Art in Corning, NY, has an exhibit of Ansel Adams' photographs on loan from George Eastman House. Exhibit is running until September 4.

I have to say that I'm rather taken with it for a number of reasons, ranging from large prints that I hadn't seen before, such as Mud Hills, Arizona which has a bit of Wynn Bullock to it, to his portrait of Edward Weston posed at the base of a tree, to more mundane issues such as the gallery isn't crowded. The walls are a pleasing dark olive, the lighting is low, and the gallery is generally fairly underpopulated, even on weekends, allowing you to simply find a bench and take in the prints in the context of their neighbors. There are several of his parmelian prints grouped together, for those interested in the look of his early work. So, while lacking the range and academic depth of Szarkowski's "Ansel Adams at 100", I find this to be a more aesthetically pleasing choice and arrangement of images. Very hard to leave.

It's a nice exhibit in a somewhat intimate space, and Corning is a cute little town, which has managed to avoid looking (at least for the most part) like it's actively seeking rust-belt status. Probably worth a daytrip if you're semi-local

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    to his portrait of Edward Weston posed at the base of a tree
    Is this an 8x10 contact print, or an enlargement?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I arranged a trip to Western NY so that I would pass through Corning twice....just so I could see the exhibit multiple times. Really looking forward to it. My first view will be this Friday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If anyone passing through western NY is going through the Buffalo/Niagra Falls area and would like to meet up to blow through some film or just meet for coffee, PM me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was awarded a view of this exhibit for Father's Day. I'll agree the work was impressive. Unfortunately what impressed me the most was the lack of light. The rooms were just too dark to really appreciate the work...

Everything said about the museum is correct and a very nice place to visit even if Ansel isn't there...

And Poco, I roast my own beans (Ethiopean) which go through a very nice espresso machine!

Shooter
    Large Format
    The wife and I are planning a day trip to Corning this weekend. Those not familiar with Corning, there is also the Corning Museum of glass another great place to visit. O ya and the pedistrian shopping in Corning is a fun time. Plan on spending the day. I LOVE New York.... somewhat.
    Last edited by rjs003; 07-18-2006 at 08:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll admit that the galleries are darker than I would have liked, and you have to get close to the pictures. Still, the lighting, wall-color, and placement of the prints lends a certain dignity to the whole affair. For me, the closest experience to being able to sit there alone was the Japanese room at the Art Institute of Chicago; the one with the maze of wooden pillars which can be tapped to produce a single clean tone.

The picture of Edward is an enlargement, probably 16x20. I've always loved that picture, and dim lighting or not, I was glad to be able to spend several uninterrupted minutes with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin