Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,421   Online: 938

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The Debris is the nicest stuff. Some of the colour work would be helped by an editor

And he seems to be doing fine on his own - if he's hungry enough he will get it published.

He didn't fly in for a couple weeks or months of Gatling gun Katrina photography...he lives there and has been taking us along with him to some deeply personal places. neither approach guarantees good (or bad) work - we need to see all this stuff we can. One thing photography can and should do is be able to show what a complete pigs ear the place still is (the polite version of the way my friends from NO describe it..) and that it should have been back on its feet months ago.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    No excuses, Tim, I think I'm "hungry" enough but circumstances and the well being of my family has to come first.

I do not wish to explain my/our entire situation but suffice it to say my plate is full.

The book will happen or it won't. I have to focus on the buissiness of recovery, and finding a home for my family.

I will continue, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportera
    No excuses, Tim, I think I'm "hungry" enough but circumstances and the well being of my family has to come first.

I do not wish to explain my/our entire situation but suffice it to say my plate is full.

The book will happen or it won't. I have to focus on the buissiness of recovery, and finding a home for my family.

I will continue, however.
    understandable... to say the least

"Debris" a really rather nice. I would hope there was also enough by way of expertise and contacts on this list to nudge things in the right direction a bit

(I'm working with a small consortium right now to build up a photo book imprint - of course most are also off pursuing a dozen other things as well. If we ever get past our initial test book I'll keep your work at the back of my mind - but don't hold your breath!) And if you're interested, I'll keep it in mind when I'm talking to photo editors?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chris Jordan's images of the aftermath of Katrina are okay but Sam Portera's photographs are incredibly moving, hauntingly beautiful, and poignant!

I'm sure when Sam is ready to publish he will. When he does alot of apug people will be lining up to support Sam. We already do and when the time comes we will buy his book! I'm pretty sure Sam knows we're rooting for him and if he needs help there are lots of people ready to step in if he asks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    They're both valid projects, quite different.

Chris Jordan's project covers a rather limited time period and it presents an outsider's perspective, so his book is possible at this point.

Sam Portera's project seems still to be in progress, and I think it will take a longer and more personal view. I wouldn't even expect a book from Sam until people are moved out of their FEMA trailers and into homes of their own.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Tim, since you are rather chummy with Chris, I think you should give him the link to Sam's work.

http://www.samuelportera.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think tim atherton is getting only half the story by visiting Sam's website.

As subscribers we see more images here on APUG than Sam has on his website, and we get to read his descriptions of the scenes photographed. Learning how many of these places and objects were of deep, personal importance to him before Katrina struck, allows me to share in his loss on a deeper level than if I saw only the images.

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Murray has brought up an interesting point, and one nice benefit our small community offers. Sam's images have a strength of their own, but to hear and see what was happening brings another dimension to the two dimensions of paper.

It is like looking at Cheryl's images of the infant who passed away shortly after birth. To read about her turmoil and inner conflict prior to the shots, then see the work as it unfolded was a very moving experience for me. For those who may be too new for this exchange and the subsequent pictures, please take a couple of minutes to read the below thread, then look at the image. This is what can be missing by simply viewing an image, no matter how good it is. I still get a lump in my throat from this one. Best to all, tim

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum50/7662-things-matter.html
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...500&ppuser=629

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    They're both valid projects, quite different.

Chris Jordan's project covers a rather limited time period and it presents an outsider's perspective, so his book is possible at this point.

my point exactly - they are both good, equally valid and quite different projects

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin