Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,728   Online: 991
      
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    552

    New book by Chris Jordan - In Katrina's Wake

    I note there is a new book due out by LF photographer Chris Jordan

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...717560?ie=UTF8

    http://tinyurl.com/emewj

    looks good. (but please don't get your knickers in a knot because he's an analogue-digital hybrid photographer - he still buys a hell of a lot of film!)

  2. #2
    david b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    None of your business
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,034
    Images
    30
    I think Sam Portera's photos are better and that he deserves a book.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    552
    where's his stuff?

    BTW I don't think anyone "deserves" a book - you go out and get one - hustle man... hustle. It's damned hard work

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    WHat Tim means is that Jordan buys film but makes big ink jet prints. He once wrote that if you took an 8x10 portion of his 6 foot prints that this portion was as sharp as a contact print.....you be the judge if this is something the analog community wants to support... of course this is once more a post made by Tim so we should not be surprised about the duplicty.

  5. #5
    david b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    None of your business
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    4,034
    Images
    30
    Tim, have a look in the galleries for Sam's work. His APUG ID is "sportera" and he does deserve a book.

    Not only has Sam put blood, sweat, and tears in this body of work, but he lived through Katrina and lost everything. He still lives there and actually has to spend a lot of time away from his family because his work is now outside of NOLA.

    He deserves a book. Plain and simple.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    127
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    WHat Tim means is that Jordan buys film but makes big ink jet prints. He once wrote that if you took an 8x10 portion of his 6 foot prints that this portion was as sharp as a contact print.....you be the judge if this is something the analog community wants to support... of course this is once more a post made by Tim so we should not be surprised about the duplicty.
    so if there's any digital in the workflow, that should remove a photographer from support in this community? film capture, digital output is a bad thing? also digital capture, analog output? just looking for clarification

    jim

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    15,260
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    Tim, have a look in the galleries for Sam's work. His APUG ID is "sportera" and he does deserve a book.

    Not only has Sam put blood, sweat, and tears in this body of work, but he lived through Katrina and lost everything. He still lives there and actually has to spend a lot of time away from his family because his work is now outside of NOLA.

    He deserves a book. Plain and simple.

    EXACTLY !

  8. #8
    c6h6o3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    3,137
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    WHat Tim means is that Jordan buys film but makes big ink jet prints. He once wrote that if you took an 8x10 portion of his 6 foot prints that this portion was as sharp as a contact print.....you be the judge if this is something the analog community wants to support... of course this is once more a post made by Tim so we should not be surprised about the duplicty.
    His Katrina pictures are small, and if I'm not mistaken, Ilfochromes. Maybe Chris is realizing, as are so many of us, where his true loyalties lie?

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    552
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    He deserves a book. Plain and simple.
    No doubt they are really good - in which case they need to be somewhere other than tucked away on APUG. And if he's struggling because of Katrina imo that's where this kind of networking should kick in

  10. #10
    MurrayMinchin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    North Coast, BC, Canada
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    4,195
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton
    No doubt they are really good - in which case they need to be somewhere other than tucked away on APUG. And if he's struggling because of Katrina imo that's where this kind of networking should kick in
    One of the highlights of being an APUG subscriber, for me, has been witnessing the growing body of work by sportera. He didn't fly in for a couple weeks or months of Gatling gun Katrina photography...he lives there and has been taking us along with him to some deeply personal places.

    Maybe you should subscribe, and then you can watch history unfold as well.

    Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 07-18-2006 at 09:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Took out part. I think a few persona's were just homogenized
    _________________________________________
    Note to self: Turn your negatives into positives.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin