Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,793   Online: 1198

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photog featured in different mags in same month

The Alan Ross article in View Camera and his work in LensWork at the same time is interesting. Does this present a problem for a publisher/editor when the same photographer is featured in 'the competition'?

How does the publisher/editor react when he sees the work in a competing magazine? Is it seen as affirmation of his choice or does it cause problems?

The same happened last year with Robb Kendrick tintypes in the same two magazines (and also of course, National Geo...)

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...pes+geographic

(Kendrick posts his response in this thread)

The answer is - yes/no/maybe/not really... these are really just articles about the photographers work, not some breaking news story or unique record of events

In some cases it's bad business - in other cases magazines can take so long to get an article to press you've no idea if and when it might happen and it's just coincidence and tough luck

I'd add, these two mags are chasing after/serving so much of the same market, with a lot of crossover and generally seem to chose portfolios of a "certain type" that they end up fishing from a pretty small pond - so this is almost inevitable.

(a recent post on photo mags on the LF list probably listed more people buying View Camera and Lenswork than anything else...)

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WarEaglemtn
    The Alan Ross article in View Camera and his work in LensWork at the same time is interesting. Does this present a problem for a publisher/editor when the same photographer is featured in 'the competition'?

How does the publisher/editor react when he sees the work in a competing magazine? Is it seen as affirmation of his choice or does it cause problems?

I think a big thing to keep in mind is whether or not a particular magazine/editor would consider the "other" publication as being competition. In this comparison I would hardly believe Jensen or Simmons would consider View Camera or Lenswork to be competition. I think because of the niche market that a majority of these magazine hold none, to me, would be considered competitors. View Camera fills one niche, BW UK another, Lenswork another, BW US another. Thats what is so wonderful for the readership. Even when similar articles are run on the same photog each magazine takes a unique perspective and I enjoy reading this editorial uniqueness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alan Ross is also featured in B&W magazine with the same photograph that appears on the cover of Lenswork featured prominently in the that article. In the Lenswork piece, out of 19 photographs, only 3 were from this decade and only 2 from the 90's. It would have been nice to see more of his most recent work. What was published is, nonetheless, excellent photography that is inspiring to view.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A lot of times when you make an editorial/promotional push you are lucky enough to get picked-up in several places. It is just the way it works sometimes. Ever notice how the same celebrities and authors are hot in the media for small spurts of time? Same thing in our small world of business. Artist gets exposure... magazine gets free copy and art... enthusiasts get their reading and viewing pleasure. Everybody wins.

B

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quite a few magazines i have seen of late have had Nick Brandt's wildlife photography featured in the same month,also Allan Jenkins cyanotype work has been in a lot of publications i get recently. I dont have a problem with it unless it stops other worthy photographers from being featured at all.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Given the number of magazine covers that Angelina Jolie seems to be able to command in any given month, I'm not too worried about photographers getting two portfolios in print at the same time.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Alan is getting around this month and next. We did an article on him in October to replace a book report that was handed in instead of the main article we wanted. It was a fast scramble to get a big name, and alan was very gracious. I'm biased, we have more photos, and a better article IMO, and no I didn't write it. If you ever have a chance to meet Alan Ross in person, He is a truely great guy. I wish him all the best.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Given the number of magazine covers that Angelina Jolie seems to be able to command in any given month, I'm not too worried about photographers getting two portfolios in print at the same time.
    David

Now you've done it. You mentioned Angelina Jolie and now Blanksy's going to get all excited again

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin