Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,180   Online: 1164

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Aperture's new submission guidlines

Was reasearching submissions for my work and found out that to submit to Aperture, you must be a subscriber now.

What do you think of this? Do you feel it's a good thing? Would a submission fee be better?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Think of the subscription as a submission fee. You get 4 issues, and if you hate the publication you don't have to renew.

I've been a subscriber since 1975 and have never submitted anything yet.

They publish the magazine - they can make the rules.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it shows they get a lot of people wanting work in the magazine but not as many wanting to get the magazine. Imagine what they have to wade through - ever meet people who simply send submissions everywhere without a clue as to who they are sending too?

While I wish submissions were free to most things, $35 here and $40 there and $25 there adds up fast, I understand its probably a full-time job for people to have to open all this stuff, look it over, then respond and send it back.

But before someone thinks Aperture is going to publish their work they probably need to be confident anyway and aren't doing so on a whim. It's not like the local camera club newsletter.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It's not an unusual requirement for other kinds of publications, like academic journals and literary magazines.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin