Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,624   Online: 999

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    One more point it iwas NOT the Fowl Proof Camera Bag that we tested. It was the Fowl Proof Blind Bag which nicely holds an 8x10, some holders and other stuff. The Fowl Proof Camera Bag AFAIK is not large enough for an 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The weight of our equipment and camping/backpacking gear is very heavy. That is why I have different sized camera bags for different equipment that I load into my backpack. I had a custom made McHale panel loading internal frame pack made so that I can carry the camera equipment (up to my 4x5 Linhof Technikardan 45S) and lightweight backpacking equipment. The pack will easily carry 60 to 65 pounds comfortably. The pack was quite expensive, but was custom made to fit me. The McHale harness systems are some of the best and most comfortable in the business. My pack is a 5000 cu inch plus backpack is made out of combination of full Spectra fabric and 440 Hi tenacity nylon fabric.

McHale at this point only makes about 200 packs a year.

Here is his link:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris
    One more point it iwas NOT the Fowl Proof Camera Bag that we tested. It was the Fowl Proof Blind Bag which nicely holds an 8x10, some holders and other stuff. The Fowl Proof Camera Bag AFAIK is not large enough for an 8x10.
    OK Ted,

Here is the link for the Fowl Proof Blind Bag:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+bag&noImage=0

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    I was having this crazy idea on how I will be carrying an 8x10 camera with me on a backpack. I alreay have a couple of Pelican cases and I tought, it would be great to have it on a backpack.

Then I came up of this idea of getting a large EXTERNAL FRAME hiking backpack, and either the Pelican fits in it or somehow rig the Pelican onto the rigid backpack frame.

Just a thought....
    I fasten my Zone VI bags onto an external backpack frame. Just use elastic cords and some of the bag straps. This is all lighter weight 5x7, 4x5 and 6x9 stuff. That way I just change the bag and use the same frame. And I can use them as shoulder bags for shorter distances. I don't see why you can't do this for any type of case. They probably have special hauling frames with a lip available. Only limit is what you can carry.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    OK Ted,

Here is the link for the Fowl Proof Blind Bag:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...+bag&noImage=0

Rich
    Hmm, so that Cabelas I live behind (literally and the only one in the west) is actually good for something?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was having this crazy idea on how I will be carrying an 8x10 camera with me on a backpack. I alreay have a couple of Pelican cases and I tought, it would be great to have it on a backpack.

Then I came up of this idea of getting a large EXTERNAL FRAME hiking backpack, and either the Pelican fits in it or somehow rig the Pelican onto the rigid backpack frame.

Just a thought....
    Your idea is a good one. I haven't seen one in a while but you used to be able to find packboards, essentially a frame with proper straps and a lot of lashing points. You might still find these at stores that focus on western hunting outfitters (where you pack out the game).

Modern external frame packs (less the fabric pack) can be used but they don't always have enough good lashing points. Plus I haven't seen one recently that has the "tray" at the bottom (I have a old Boy Scout frame pack with that tray and keep it just for that reason).

I'd cruise thrift shops for older packs with that L tray, then plan on replacing straps and hip belt.

Another option is a canoe pack. Most do not have frames (not good for this purpose) but some do have internal frames. Your Pelican case would have to fit inside.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP
    They probably have special hauling frames with a lip available.
    Look for something called a freighter frame. These are a frame with a fold down "shelf" usually marketed at hunters for hauling chunks of large game animals, but some companies that specialize in wildfire fighting gear also make them. I know Kelty makes one or two, as does Camp Trails and I've seen them on the Cabela's site as well. A company named Wenzel makes freighter frames for the forestry industry. If you do a google image serach on "freighter frame" you'll get a good assortment of these types of frames.

Kerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kthalmann
    Look for something called a freighter frame. These are a frame with a fold down
    Kerry
    Just did a search and those will totally work with a Pelican case! That's awesome.

Of course, I would recommend a Pelican 1500 and not bigger. You'll be having a sore back with a bigger case and more gear.

This is a cool thread. It was just a thought that I had about the frame backpack but I knew someone with more experience with them can lead me to the right direction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just did a search and those will totally work with a Pelican case! That's awesome.

Of course, I would recommend a Pelican 1500 and not bigger. You'll be having a sore back with a bigger case and more gear.

This is a cool thread. It was just a thought that I had about the frame backpack but I knew someone with more experience with them can lead me to the right direction.
    Hi Eric,

It is your call about affixing a Pelican 1500 or other like hard case to a Freightliner or other External Frame. I have several Pelican cases and I like them as hard cases to store and carry equipment either in the car or for shipping. But these are heavy and very rigid cases to carry far into the field. The 1500 weighs 6.4 pounds empty and 7.05 pounds with the foam.

External frame packs are comfortable, but I do not know how comfortably a Pelican Case will carry affixed to the frame far into the field.

Rich
    Last edited by naturephoto1; 08-03-2006 at 02:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard A. Nelridge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin