Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,752   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Another photo mag of better than average quality...

I just found this photography magazine at my local Borders. It's an Italian magazine. One thing that makes it very refreshing is that it has NO advertising in it at all. The downside of that is that the magazine price is $18 USD for 80-some pages. I remember (and sorely miss) Photographers International, which was a joint Taiwanese/French publication. They had near-cardstock paper, at least quadtone reproduction if not hexatone, and six pages of ads at the front and six at the rear, with none to interrupt the contents.

Anyway, this Italian magazine is called "Private". They have a website - www.privatephotoreview.com . Worth checking out. The current (current on my newsstand anyway) issue has photos from Eastern Europe and the former Soviet states.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks really good. Lots of documentary and reportage. Too bad about the cost, but much of this is stuff you won't see anyplace else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Always glad to see a photo mag about photos - anything OTHER than gear or the regurgitated "how to" articles. I too bought those for a year, learned the basics, and haven't looked back. Even better - this appears to be documentary/street focused, which I'm just starting to get into. Thanks for the link. I'll be buying this one, methinks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This IS a very good magazine and worth checking out. It may be expensive, but all the really good photo magazines are nowadays.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Does anyone know if it is geared towards traditional or also have digital as well?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Is there any color, or is it all B&W? It might be worth having if it does.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And here I am right in Italy and I have to learn about it from a Hawaiian?!
    About $40 for four issues plus a book here... gave it a shot, will see what arrives in the mail. Thanks for the heads-up Robert. There are a few subscription-only magazines here that are interesting in that they focus on the photo, not selling you more kit. Forum is one, but I'm curious to see this one too!
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Actually, Niko, you heard about it from a Washingtonian, not a Hawaiian but we'll not nit-pick.

From what I've seen on their website, it is all b/w, and from the look of things, it is all traditional - most of the work seems to be 35mm from the grain structure. You can browse most back-issues on their website- just go into the archive. It seems to be very much a thinking-person's photography magazine. It is so much so about the images that there is virtually no textual explanation, just image title and photographer's name. I wish they gave a little more, like in the eastern european issue, it would have been nice to know the cities in which some of the photos were taken, or at least the region of the country.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I see it fairly often at local newsstands. I picked the previous issue about night, and thinking about getting the recent one about Eastern Europe. The one thing I find annoying with it is the writing, but then I find all writing about art to be annoying to a certain extent. If it had just a little bit more quality in printing it would be perfect. Nothing is, but oh well I'm looking forward to my first copy of Emulsion!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kjsphoto
    Does anyone know if it is geared towards traditional or also have digital as well?
    Looking at the website it appears mostly film work. But since it seems like a place to find photos and photographers not found other places I think that wouldn't matter so much. They are running issues devoted to Magnum and VII, etc., so it doesn't look like some big ad for the newest Nikon D-whatever and the batteries needed to turn it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin