Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,184   Online: 1175

Wow, have you seen this?

In the newest issue of Vanity fair (out today I think), there is a photo essay of previously unreleased photos of the twin towers on 911

There is even an absolutely amazing Daguerrotype in the series.

Have a look at the series here:

Images
    Thanks
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Isn't this the perfect example of why we always carry a camera in our pocket?
    She: What do you do for a living?
    Me: I take pictures.
    She: Oh, you're a photographer.
    Me: No,... I'm an art thief. :)

Images

Is that a Daguerrotype in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooki
    Isn't this the perfect example of why we always carry a camera in our pocket?
    Uh....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    WTF? A "Daguerrotype"?

Where? Are you referring to image 8 which is a poorly scanned slide that seems to have vignetting and also wasn't cropped?

VF's name says it all - what do they consider this - a review of a friggin' fashion shoot?

Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    WTF? A "Daguerrotype"?
    Where? Are you referring to image 8 which is a poorly scanned slide that seems to have vignetting and also wasn't cropped?
    Not having seen the actual image in person, I can only rely on the photo caption which reads:

An expert in 19th-century photographic techniques brought a wooden view camera and a daguerreotype plate to his Chelsea rooftop, capturing this three-second exposure as the south tower disappeared on the horizon

And on the photo credit which is given to Jerry Spagnoli a modern daguerrotypist.

Your conclusion that it is a badly scanned, uncropped slide is based on what?

VF's name says it all - what do they consider this - a review of a friggin' fashion shoot?
    I'm not sure what this actually means...other than perhaps your blood sugar is low.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Wow - have you seen THIS?

Perhaps those of us who were there have greater things on our mind than voyeuristic observation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/06/ny...ion&oref=login

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't say much about the quality from what is on the web for Vanity Fair, but the photos are still very disturbing and upsetting even after 5 years.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A friend/aquaintence knows Jerry Spagnoli and has discussed this image with him.

Accoring to my friend - the image was taken while the towers fell, Jery opened the shutter (removed the barrel stop) had his back to the scene while the towers fell and then turned back around when the exposure was complete. I was told that he was disorientated for a moment trying to understand the new sceneand re-orient himself.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Perhaps those of us who were there have greater things on our mind than voyeuristic observation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/06/ny...ion&oref=login

Kind of curious what the point is.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin