Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,559   Online: 1295

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Annie Leibovitz: American Music at the DIA

Just returned from viewing this show at the Detroit Institute of Arts and was very impressed. Unfortunately only a fraction of the book is on display, but what is up is quite beautiful. Those who I have seen trashing her for only being famous because of the people she shoots need to think again. She has some very wonderful work. There is one particular portrait that grabbed me of Pete Seeger on the banks of the Hudson. BIG, beautiful and in color with his "machine that kills fascists" slung over his back... wow. Many many others. It was also my opinion that the more loose and spontaneous images were by far the best. The formal portraits are nice, but a bit forced whereas the more spontaneous "snaps" if you will were for me the strongest work.

If you are in the area and you get a chance to see this, don't pass it up.

Also... Bravo to the DIA!!!! The renovation is almost done and this is nothing less than a world class museum.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DIA == World Class indeed!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info Bill. Wish I wasn't so far away - I'd love to see her work up close.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting.

The more I see and read about her work, (there was more in last weekend's Guardian!) the more interested I am becoming in it.
    Cate

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Bill,

I don't think folks were "trashing" her work in the other thread - although the featured photo seemed to be less than overwhelming.

Liebovitz is a very accomplished photographer. She is also a very accomplished businesswoman and self-promoter. Is it coincidence that the Brooklyn Museum here in NYC, DIA in your town and I believe a museum in SF are all featuring exhibits of her work just as her latest book is released?

I sure the Detroit Free Press prominently featured the exhibit there as did the NY Times for the Brooklyn showing.

Some folk just have all the right "connections".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got back from the exhibit myself. Great work. The line for tickets was going out the door when we were leaving. I'm glad we went early.

Jerry

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Re. Annie Leibovitz

Hi ,all!
    A couple of weeks ago, CBS Sunday Morning had a piece about Annie. I was so excited--I nearly ignored my roommate's awesome brunch!! I believe that PBS's "American Masters" will have Annie featured sometime in January. I'm very 'fired up'!
    Since I'm a 'newbie' at photography as well as photographers, in general, I get very excited about anything photography-related! OOhhhh, weeellllll!!!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The PBS program American Masters : Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens. airs this Wednesday. Check your local station for time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    The PBS program American Masters : Annie Leibovitz: Life Through a Lens. airs this Wednesday. Check your local station for time.
    Thanks Jim!

Bill

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Annie Leibovitz!!!

A huge THANK YOU! to you, Jim! I probably would found the subject of Am. M., eventually, very likely long after it aired!!

Thank you!
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin