Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,180   Online: 818

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hmm, let's see. Spot or chase? That's a tough one...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matt miller View Post
    On the 2nd and 8th photos. The scratch is on the right side of each image about 2" in from the right and centered from top to bottom. The scratch is a couple of inches long.
    Well, I'll be damned. There they are. But I've got to say that I had to look really hard to find them, especially on Plate 8.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Lodima reproductions are so much like real prints that I find myself studying them very closely. I guess that's how I noticed the scratches.

Matt, and others,

I just spoke with the printer. There was a scratch one of the blankets on the press. Our printer had never seen anything like that before. It is the kind of thing that is impossible to guard against. I assure you that our printer is more fanatic about quality, in every regard, than any other printer anywhere. But now there is something else to look out for as we print the next book in the series, "New York."

We do careful press checks. George Tice, was on press with us for "Common Mementos," the book of his we published. He had been on press for each of his 14 books. When he saw us and our printer do press checks on his book he commented that in all his years of doing press checks and watching others do them he had never seen anyone do them so carefully.

Perfection can be elusive. As someone once said to me, "Strive for perfection. Settle for excellence."

Best regards, and thanks for calling this to our attention.

Michael

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    WOW, Just recieved my Brett Weston books (San Fran and White Sands) from Lodima and they are simply fantastic. Whoever said they look like real prints that you could frame them was right. Seriously, I am VERY picky about book image quality. These are simply the best. I can't get over the tonality, creamy whites on one image, brighter on the next (obviously intended by Brett), excellent grey scale, deep blacks, etc....There are a couple in the Brett Weston White Sands book I am tempted to cut out and frame, they are that good. But I want to leave the book in tact. If you are in to photography books at all, you must see these books. Thank you Michael and Paula for taking this series on.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A minor addition to Scott Killian's remarks re the "Voyage of the Eye" book, there are two editions. The second was printed to honor Brett's 80th birthday and has slightly better reproduction quality than the 1975 edition. Unlike the earlier edition, it was printed and bound in Hong Kong and lacks the Jeffers and Crane poetry.

If I were to own only one of the six books printed during Brett's lifetime my choice would be "Master Photographer".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin