Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,130   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    You might want to take the time to look a little deeper. He is EXTREMELY prolific and I think his work stands shoulder-to-shoulder with the other fine photographers you mentioned.

guys, your not convincing me, but why do feel the need to

i've looked at his work, it's great, but so is the work of several dozen others that quickly come to mind, some of whom i know personally

i have no interest in investing in photography as a monetary enterprise, i am more interested in developing my own expertise and practice

i'd love to own one of these prints, but not for an arbitrary amount that i can't self justify

why is this work, or any other particular work so important/valuable/esteemed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Heath View Post

why is this work, or any other particular work so important/valuable/esteemed?
    because the work is just so beautiful, and book looks even better than in the booktease. this book is on the same level with Kenna's 'Japan'. IMO

http://www.photoeye.com/BookteaseLig...?catalog=zc882

http://www.photoeye.com/templates/mS...?Catalog=ZC882

M

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
    because the work is just so beautiful, and book looks even better than in the booktease. this book is on the same level with Kenna's 'Japan'. IMO

http://www.photoeye.com/BookteaseLig...?catalog=zc882

http://www.photoeye.com/templates/mS...?Catalog=ZC882

M
    Your enthusiasm for his work is great, but not all of us see his work in the same light. Frankly, I much prefer Bill Schwab's images of Iceland.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert kind of sums it up, everyone has different interests and likes. For B&W of Iceland, I like Fred Pickers portfolio.

But, this one is nice and so is Bill's.

Different strokes.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Your enthusiasm for his work is great, but not all of us see his work in the same light. Frankly, I much prefer Bill Schwab's images of Iceland.
    sure. Bill's work is great too. I have seen only a few - maybe 15 (or slighlty more). However this book features 65 images, and each is great. It is more an "entire iceland collection" which perfectly fits in a book, and it is not just a series of images.... anyway... everyone has their one favourites

M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    sure. Bill's work is great too. I have seen only a few - maybe 15 (or slighlty more). However this book features 65 images, and each is great.
    I just found this thread and am blushing a bit. I appreciate the kind words.

Manalishi... I assure you there are many more! I was kind of holding off on much of it to do a book, but it seems there are more than enough on Iceland for now. I plan on doing much more photography there before rushing into a book. Someday it will all get out there... or maybe not.

As for Josef's work, although I find it stunning and he is a spectacular practitioner of the ND shots, it tends to be quite like Michael's. I was recently forwarded an email that is circulating placing Kenna's work alongside Josef's, Rolfe Horn's and Michael Levin's who I am not familiar with. It is quite startling. I'm talking exact same locations, times of day, exposure, etc. I realize there will always be comparisons to Michael Kenna, I used to get them all the time. Still do in fact. Perhaps the square, black and white landscape will always now draw comparison to Kenna's work. Just like for awhile when I started out, everyone thought that because you did B&W landscapes, you were trying to be Ansel Adams. He is just the most popular thing out there. I suppose it is inevitable and it has gone on throughout art history.

Thanks again everyone!

B
    Last edited by billschwab; 11-23-2006 at 01:43 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: edit for accuracy

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Originally Posted by manalishi--sure. Bill's work is great too. I have seen only a few - maybe 15 (or slighlty more). However this book features 65 images, and each is great.

I second manalishi's comment about Bill Schwab. Bill's work, to me, is spectacular. I can say that as I am an avid collector of his prints. If you have never seen a Bill Schwab print, you are missing out on some beautiful work. Just my opinion, but I think a lot of people would agree after holding one of his prints and seeing it up close. Happy Thanksgiving to all.....Matt....P.S. Bill, don't forget to email me when you have the new work ready.
    Please view my work at www.MatthewTourtellott.photosite.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Wow, this stuff is almost a note for note copy of Michael Kenna's work. At least to my untrained eye.

W.
    "Since the fact that we exist at all is nothing more than banal, we might just as well make something grand out of it …"

Francis Bacon

http://www.williamlinne.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    I just found this thread and am blushing a bit. I appreciate the kind words.

Manalishi... I assure you there are many more! I was kind of holding off on much of it to do a book, but it seems there are more than enough on Iceland for now. I plan on doing much more photography there before rushing into a book. Someday it will all get out there... or maybe not.

As for Josef's work, although I find it stunning and he is a spectacular practitioner of the ND shots, it tends to be quite like Michael's. I was recently forwarded an email that is circulating placing Kenna's work alongside Josef's, Rolfe Horn's and Michael Levin's who I am not familiar with. It is quite startling. I'm talking exact same locations, times of day, exposure, etc. I realize there will always be comparisons to Michael Kenna, I used to get them all the time. Still do in fact. Perhaps the square, black and white landscape will always now draw comparison to Kenna's work. Just like for awhile when I started out, everyone thought that because you did B&W landscapes, you were trying to be Ansel Adams. He is just the most popular thing out there. I suppose it is inevitable and it has gone on throughout art history.

Thanks again everyone!

B

I agree Bill.
    Take a square b&w landscape image and you have a comparison to Michael Kenna. Bill, didn't you photograph the same Rouge Steel plant like Kenna did? (hehe - just kidding... ;-))

M ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IBill, didn't you photograph the same Rouge Steel plant like Kenna did? (hehe - just kidding... ;-))
    Certainly did M. I live a mile away and both my Father and Grandfather worked at and retired from that plant. I started making photographs there in 1985. Several years before Michael began and many after Charles Sheeler and Robert Frank. If you ask me, it is the best work MK has done. At least to my taste. It is my favorite work and book of his. I was just there yesterday as a matter of fact. Unfortunately all the old and most historically photogenic parts have now been torn down. It is now a very modern and state of the art factory.

B

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin