Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,986   Online: 687

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The New FSA publication

Has anybody been able to review or look over the new publication regarding the FSA a compilation of photographs seen and unseen . Small piece in the Black & white magazine ws quite gushing but not very helpful
    I would like to put it on my Xmas list any critiques will be gratefully recieved.

Dustym

www.clikpic.com/essexmonochrome
    The camera cannot lie, but it cannot help being selective.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I assume you're talking about "FSA: The American Vision", which I haven't seen. There is one review at www.amazon.com which may be helpful. I do have the book "Long Time Coming", which I can recommend.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, now I've been looking at "FSA: The American Vision" for some time now (and I thank Dustym for bringing it to my attention, if that indeed is the book he was talking about) and I like it very much. While looking at the first third of the book, I went "Oh, it's these shots of Lange and Evans I've seen a thousand times", but then it branched out to discuss other photographers, less known to me and the general public. Two of my favorites, Jack Delano and Marion Post Wolcott, are well represented. There is one photograph by John Vachon that had me saying: "That attribution is wrong, that was by Walker Evans". It's a shot of two houses in Atlanta, with movie billboards in the foreground. But then I noticed that the movies advertised were different than in the Evans photograph....same scene caught the two photographers' attention.

One day I might go to Mt. Pleasant in Pennsylvania (I pass by it every six months as I drive to an elderly parent), and see how the WWI memorial looks different than in July 1937, when Evans photographed it. I don't suppose his tripod holes are available in the cement sidewalk....

Anyway, good book.
    "I bought a new camera. It's so advanced you don't even need it." - Steven Wright

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin