Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,989   Online: 985

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lenswork View Post
    Thanks for posting the question -- and I'm happy to answer!

Quite honestly, we don't have the foggiest idea what camera is being used when we select work for publication. In fact, we never read the bios or any technical data in our selection process. We (rather radically, I guess) look only at the photographs -- and only rarely, when it is an important component of understanding the images, will we look at the artist's statement.

thats great, thanks for the reply.

I started to notice what equipment the photographers list as the current issue has a wonderful portfolio of portraits, and I was wondering what this fellow manages to travel the world with. I really enjoyed this issue.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

35mm

It could have been last year or so but there was an excellant portfolio on spanish bullfighting taken I believe in Spain with a Nikon F100. The work was outstanding. Seek and you shall find....
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I think the style of Lenswork which is mostly immobile subjects is what attracts the MF and LF shooters. I only kept my subscription for a year as I found the images repetitive. But that's my own preferences and ofcourse most magazines have a particular style and that's very fine.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ari,

I've seen documentary style photographs, amazing portraits, and very interesting images in Lenswork. Yes, there are lots of still subject matter but that's not all they publish. The bull fighting images were a very long term project and I think they were 35mm film. There might have been another portfolio of bull fighting as well.

One year isn't indicative of the range of work that I have seen published in Lenswork. I've been buying it off the news stand for the last 4-5 years and the range of work I've seen published has been varied and exceptional.
    I shoot 35mm and I wouldn't hesitate to submit work to them if I felt I had enough material in a particular project.

If it was only one style and one kind of format I wouldn't buy it as consistently as I have.

All the Best,
    BWKate

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lenswork View Post
    .... we try to make the focus of LensWork the images, not the gear..... Brooks Jensen Editor, LensWork Publishing
    I suggest you might want to emphasize this even further by not mentioning the gear at all, Brooks.

I buy Lenswork based on the images and not the gear used to produce them. Personnaly, I strictly use film but I can appreaciate a "good eye" whether analog or digital and the bits about the hardware might be best suited for the countless gear-oriented publications and not the image-oriented ones such as yours.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
    I suggest you might want to emphasize this even further by not mentioning the gear at all, Brooks.

I buy Lenswork based on the images and not the gear used to produce them. Personnaly, I strictly use film but I can appreaciate a "good eye" whether analog or digital and the bits about the hardware might be best suited for the countless gear-oriented publications and not the image-oriented ones such as yours.
    I'll second that emotion!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
    I second that mention too. I noticed that Aperture never mentions camera and film/digi information, and I don't feel like anything is lacking from it. With Lenswork, I'm always looking at the camera information and it more or less subconsciously lead me to think "if I buy the same gear as he does I will make great photos too". Not that I actually believe this, but there is always a nagging uncertainty in the beginner that the tools are not adequate. On the other hand, when I look at Aperture, I never have that anxiety. I look at the photos and think "this was made by a good artist and I want to think about what it says".

Some pictures in Lenswork held my interest because of the way in which they were produced ("Oh, I didn't know you could do that with XYZ") but they weren't interesting enough otherwise. If you want your readers to appreciate the art first, then taking a certain distance from the tools could help. People can focus on the imagistic work rather than on the medium work.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very few photo magazines inspire me to go out and be a better photographer. Lenswork does that. It's focus is the image, and I look at those first, and later, the equipment used, just because I am interested.

I dropped my Aperture subscription because for one, I got tired of seeing mediocre photography passed off as art. Second, I wasn't inspired by most of what was there in recent issues.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfobrien View Post
    Very few photo magazines inspire me to go out and be a better photographer. Lenswork does that. It's focus is the image, and I look at those first, and later, the equipment used, just because I am interested.

I dropped my Aperture subscription because for one, I got tired of seeing mediocre photography passed off as art. Second, I wasn't inspired by most of what was there in recent issues.
    I hear you - I have very few magazine subscriptions, but Lenswork is one of them. I am enjoy both the articles and the photogrpahs, and I am often inspired by the work presented. I'm only occasionaly interested in the technical aspects of the photographs, but I don't mind them overly if they are included. On the other hand, I'm afraid that Aperture has been on the list of magazine to be browsed and purchased only they look worth the cover price for some while now, along with a number of other magazines unfortunately.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mfobrien View Post
    I dropped mine for the same reason. I checked the new edition at Borders the other day and saw no reason to regret my decision.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin