Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,895   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

question about Lenswork

I've been subscribing to lenswork and have gotten 3 issues so far.

I've noticed that there have been no 35mm film submissions. I'm not usually one to look at the technical part but its just something I notice when I read the little blurb before the portfolio. Is this just coincidence that in my 3 issues I've got theres been no one submitting 35mm, or is it that the 35mm work submitted is usually of much lower quality (artistic and technical quality)?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    well, Does D70, D200, and digital rebel considered 35mm? Lenswork has more and more digital portofolio than before. I don't think they have a bias on what format you are using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen 35mm work published in Lenswork before. If the piece is strong they will publish it. I am quite sure the quality of the work is what Brooks Jensen is looking for and he is not biased to any one format or digital over film. He has always stressed that he looks at the work and what it says and the technical considerations are not as important as how strong the work is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brooks is a member here, and posts from time to time. If he sees this thread, he will probably answer your question.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    someone just recently listed various 35mm cameras as used in the production of the work presented.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    LensWork is not dedicated to any specific photographic process. If there is no 35 millimeter camera work depicted in the magazine either none has been submitted or the work submitted has not been as good as work submitted in other formats.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Camera quality, as such, isn't a factor in Lenswork. Issue 66 contains a series of images by Perry Dilbeck made with a Holga. Now that! is about as low as the bar goes regarding the machine taking the actual picture....and those images are excellent too, btw!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas View Post
    I've been subscribing to lenswork and have gotten 3 issues so far.

I've noticed that there have been no 35mm film submissions. I'm not usually one to look at the technical part but its just something I notice when I read the little blurb before the portfolio. Is this just coincidence that in my 3 issues I've got theres been no one submitting 35mm, or is it that the 35mm work submitted is usually of much lower quality (artistic and technical quality)?
    Great magazine. I don't detect any bias for or against any format. Must be coincidence is my snap judgement!

As an aside - they produce an excellent (free) podcast as well - the editor is very insightful, I find.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Formats

Thanks for posting the question -- and I'm happy to answer!

Quite honestly, we don't have the foggiest idea what camera is being used when we select work for publication. In fact, we never read the bios or any technical data in our selection process. We (rather radically, I guess) look only at the photographs -- and only rarely, when it is an important component of understanding the images, will we look at the artist's statement. Normally we just use our best judgement based on the body of work as it stands on its own. After all, that's pretty much what most of you are going to do -- see the images as they stand on their own. I would be willing to bet that most of our readers either don't read the bio/statement in the magazine or, at best, read it after they've flipped through the image pages. (Am I right?) The images had better stand on their own or they probably don't have much of a chance to capture your interest and motivate you to spend more time with them or read the contextual information.

So, the work that appears in LensWork is more than likely a mix of the tools that are being used out there -- every format under the sun, film, digital, lens-less (e.g. pinhole), and you-name-it. That's one of the fun things about being the editor -- seeing how creative people are using all the tools at their disposal to express themselves photographically.

Now, having said that, I will admit that statistically there are probably a disproportionate number of large and medium format portfolios in LensWork than 35mm ones, that can't be denied. I suspect that people who tend to take interest in the art-side of photography are more likely to gravitate to the more "serious" equipment of large or medium format cameras. Besides, they tend to produce more "photographic-like" images -- sharper, smoother tones, etc. as well as require a greater skill to use. A person can make good music on a Casio electronic keyboard, too, but one who buys a Steinway is likely to be a more dedicated pianist. (Feel free to insert the "those who buy a violin, own a violin" story here if you know it.) Nonetheless, we see (and publish) all kinds of work from all kinds of equipment. Essentially, there is no "filter" that keeps work from a certain camera/format or other out of our publications -- other than we only publish color work in LensWork EXTENDED.

Fundamentally, equipment sort of bores me -- on the creative level. (I love tinkering, shopping, fussing, and testing like a lot you do, I suspect, but just not when I'm trying to make photographs.) I read tech magazines, too, but we try to make the focus of LensWork the images, not the gear. As long as there is an audience for such an odd photography publication, we'll keep publishing. Thanks!
    Brooks Jensen
    Editor, LensWork Publishing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lenswork View Post
    I would be willing to bet that most of our readers either don't read the bio/statement in the magazine or, at best, read it after they've flipped through the image pages. (Am I right?)
    Thats what I do. The photos are the first thing I look at. It's always a joy too. Then, I get to enjoy them all over again after I read about them. The last thing I look at is what equipment they've used.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin