Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,891   Online: 1152

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Clogz' Show Announcement at Whitmore Gallery in Salt Lake City, Utah

This is a little late in coming, however I would like to announce our good friend Clogz has a show...

“Around the Corner”: A Fine Art Exhibit
    Salt Lake City, UT

Photography is a play of light and shadow, line and form. This collection of ten black and white photographs by the Dutch photographer Hans van der Est highlight the interplay of light and shadow and focus the viewer’s eyes on shape. He states, “Light: gorgeous, God-given light has got a hold on me and never ceases to fascinate me. It forces me look.”

Hans van der Est has been shooting for more than 30 years. He looks for “found objects” as he shoots, wandering into scenes throughout the day that speak to him in their simplicity and transience. Each shot is a moment captured in time that may never reappear. He works the image quickly until he has removed everything from the frame that he does not need to create the mood he senses. This crisp elimination of the unnecessary highlights the essence of what remains.

The images in this exhibit were all were made “around the corner—on my way to work or to the supermarket during a period of my life when I was not able to go out on a project.” While not mechanical in nature, it is methodical…”although I am not against pre-planning my pictures, this has over the years developed into a kind of project anyway,” writes van der Est. The frozen movement of a bird in flight, or the cast shadow of a piano emphasis the immediacy of the moment. The artist strives to find beauty in the obvious; it is here, in each clean, honest image.

The photographs are also technically admirable. Van der Est uses 35 mm and medium format film, usually Ilford, sometimes Agfa or Fuji Neopan. He develops and prints in his own darkroom, using chemicals from a Dutch company not usually used in the United States. With the exception of number ten, taken in 1984, all the images were made from 2004 – 2006.

Description of images and artist’s comments:

Cord. I live only a few hundred yards from the river; this was on the deck of a barge.
    Piano. This image was taken at a local museum which is sometimes used for concerts. It is a personal favorite.Clouds and Flowers. Taken near my girlfriend’s weekend home in Zeeland. The area is full of rivers and estuaries and close to the sea, and during sunny afternoons cotton wool clouds appear.
    Clouds and Bird. Taken some minutes after the previous photograph.
    Wall and Shadow…speaks for itself.
    Liquid Light. A lamp set into a concrete pillar outside a museum combined with rain and wind made this image.
    Bikes. The local council seems to have gone a bit overboard in sign-posting this bicycle track.
    Abstract. Bow of a yacht moored in front of my apartment.
    Emergency Exit. Stark modern architecture and nature combined.
    Sigaren (Cigars). Detail of the wooden shutter of an old tobacconist’s shop, now demolished.

This exhibit is showing in the Whitmore Library at 2197 East Fort Union Boulevard, Salt Lake City, 84121 from November 1, 2006 to January 15, 2007. Exhibit hours are Mon.-Thurs. 10:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. and Fri.-Sat. 10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. The public is invited; admission is free. Questions or inquires about purchasing prints, contact Robert Hall

Update, November 30, 2006: two images from the collection have been sold.
    Last edited by Robert Hall; 11-29-2006 at 11:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hans,

Congratulations on the exhibit. Salt Lake City is a bit too far to travel to see the show however.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations Hans. Too bad the exhibit is so far from me (although most things are!).
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Way to go Hans, good luck with it!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hans, this is great. Does the show come to Benelux ?

Marc
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations Hans!!! you dark horse... didn't say anything
    all the best
    Salvo
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."
    Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congrats, Hans!

Well done, old horse ;-))

Didn`t know that you are such famous!!
    ________

Regards
    Folker

MonoArt - fine photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mono View Post
    Didn`t know that you are such famous!!
    Famous? The man is a superstar in the US and Japan!

Congrats my friend, you deserve that and much more.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well done Hans. Wish I could be there.
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Congrats, Hans! Wish I could get to the show... Salt Lake City is a long way from just about everywhere, unfortunately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin