Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,845   Online: 759

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Stone Walls . Grey Skies" by George Tice. Excellent and intimate landscapes and townscapes that include the 'hand of man'.

"Hymn to the Earth" by Ron Rosenstock. A book of not very unusual LF landscape and manvironmentscape work, but it's enhanced greatly by the verse (much of it Haiku) by Gabriel Rosenstock (an unrelated Rosenstock btw.).

"Orchestrating Icons" by Huntington Witherill. Even though Witherill has gone down the digital road (and is currently doing work I just can't abide), this collection from BCE (before the current era) is excellent.

"Along the Way" by Mark Citret. This isn't a landscape collection per se, though there are many fine examples of that kind of photograph, but it is a collection of gorgeous black and white work by an underappreciated master.
    John Voss

My Blog

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Frank Gohlke/Mark Klett-New Topographics
    Carleton watkins-ever wondered where AA got his ideas from?.....
    Timothy O'Sullivan-ditto
    See also 'An American Century of Photography' ed Keith Davies and 'The land'-catalogue for 1975 Bill Brandt-curated show at the V and A in London
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Tom. Somebody mentioned John Davies. He has an exhibition of B&W landscape prints at the National Film, Television and Photography Museum in Bradford at the moment.

I was there yesterday and if you can get along it's well worth a visit. It's a mixture of trad open country and urban landscape - mainly the latter. A lot of the prints are of Sheffield taken in the early 80s when it was going through major change. He also covers Durham, Manchester and S. Wales

They are big! The smallest about 18 x 24 inches but most well over 2 x 3 ft.

The museum is a full day out if you want it to be and is a place for the whole family. The kids could easily be left in the television studio area for most of the day. They can actually use real TV cameras under the direction of a disembodied producer who advises you what to do.

There's also a history of photography in the basement.

Back to John Davies. You can listen and watch a 5 minute interview of him explaining his background and why he does what he does. The only aspect he doesn't cover is what equipment, film,camera etc he uses and where he gets his prints done. You see him on location with it but I couldn't make out what it was. It looked like an MF and not a view camera. He could transport it quite happily up steep hills while it was attached to the tripod. No bellows as far as I could see.

All I can say is: If that's what you can do with MF then until I can afford part of say the Tate gallery to show my prints, MF is all I'll ever aspire to.

Oh, it's all free as well.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can second, (or third) John Davies. See www.johndavies.uk.com. Also Fay Godwin http://www.djclark.com/godwin/

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hullie Moore - Shenandoah: Views of our National Park
    http://www.hullihenmoorephotography.com/book.php

Not only is he a fantastic photographer, he's one of the nicest people you could meet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks to all of you. There's loads of material here for me to explore!

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a note to all those that helped...I have bought a number of used books of Amazon recently as recommended:

Paul Caponigro - New England Days
    Wynn Bullock - Enchanted Landscape
    John Sexton - Listen to the trees

and a few more on the way. Great choices and just what I was after.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thomas Joshua Cooper, 'Dreaming the Gokstadt' is wonderful. Book not cheap though...!

http://www.inglebygallery.com/bookshopDetail.php?id=44

Best wishes,
    Gavin

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Highly recomment like others, Koudelka - both Chaos and the newer Koudelka book for urban landscape (this guy is fantastic - what a unique vision).

Paula Chamlee - Natural Connections, Tuscany. Michael Smith - Tuscany. Brett Weston - White Sands, SanFran and possible the new New York portfolio for urban landscape.

Others have mentioned, Barnbaum, Sexton, Capanigro,...

May want to look at Josef Sudek Panorama - Prague (hard to find, expensive)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin