Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,461   Posts: 1,570,629   Online: 778

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

"Zonie" bashers and John Sexton's new book

Every page, every last page... has drop-dead, heart stopping reproductions of prints made by one of the "zonies" who learned directly from the master. I've never been an adherent of the technique. I'm more of a 'Press the button and Pray' sort. What that means is, I have thousands of negatives and a hand-full are good enough to make the kind of print I see in "Recollections - 3 Decades of Photography"

The thing is, even my best technical negatives are just the work of a hack... compared to the work which comes from the vision of John Sexton. So what we have in the book is incredible vision coupled with Zone System technique beyond compare. At what... $65? I GUARANTEE that if you buy the book, look at the photographs and aren't absolutely move, you aren't a human being. Oh sure, I could back up my guarantee with cash, only I ain't got any. It's easier and in fact more effective to call you an animal if you don't like "Recollections - Three Decades of Photographs".

I wasn't paid or in any way cooerced to write this. I don't know John Sexton personally, just met him once. I won't get a kick-back from additional sales of the book because someone bought one after reading this. I won't, will I Mr. Sexton? ... could use the money though. My 16 year old needs new wrestling shoes and the tires are wearing out on my car.

Still, go buy it! I own a lot of photgraphic monographs and this one is about the best I've ever purchased. Autographed too... can you beat that?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Can't argue with this one! The book is stunning -- every page is an inspiration and his work is exquisite. From the choice of viewpoint, to the composition, to the moment, to the visualization, to the final print, and even to the text; it's all pure gold and worthy of any photography lover's bookshelf.

And while you're at it, lay in a supply of Bruce Barnbaum and Paul Caponigro, just to name a couple of other awesome shooters. No better way to learn the art of photography than by studying master works!
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My copy arrived on the 8th, but I won't get to see it 'till Christmas. I can't wait! I took a very brief look at a copy at the Photography Show at the Javits Center last month and was simply awed by the beauty of his work.

It's an interesting aside to realize how beautiful these printed ink versions are of photographs that are actually silver gelatin prints. It's not hard to see why people embrace high end inkjet black and white which is not too far from what the book offers..it can be beautifully done. But, there was one actual print from the book on the wall of the Light Impressions exhibit where Mr. Sexton was talking to people and signing copies of the book and it was stunning. If more people got a chance to see the two (inkjet and silver gelatin) side by side, those who prefer traditional work might not continue to belittle digiprints out of hand, but digigraphers would get a chance to see, perhaps for the very first time, what the standard is they are trying so hard to achieve digitally.
    John Voss

My Blog

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is a beautiful book and i was lucky enough to take my copy out of John Sextons hands when he signed it for me a week ago.
    John Sexton gave a lecture at the Portland Art Museum last Sunday, quite entertaining and not to miss if the master is in your area.

jan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin