Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,984   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soviet Photo

Shooter
    Medium Format

Soviet Photo

I recently discovered this website.
    http://sov-photo.livejournal.com/
    These photos were published in "soviet photo" magazine years ago.
    You may find it interesting to look at those pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great photos. Wish I could read Russian.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Try http://www.online-translator.com for machine translation. It's usually enough to give you the gist of a site, and it translated most of the titles of the photos on the Soviet Photo Daily site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting look at another way of life. Reminds me of Look and Life magazines in the US. As a kid I used to read my grandparents magazines and wonder about life in those distant places.

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree with Curt. Really gives the feel for the 40s and 50s Life magazine photography. Some really cool images.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very cool.

In college, our science library had a Soviet science journal printed in English. It was almost like a more technical version of National Geographic and covered all sorts of fields. I was fascinated by the photography. I can remember clearly photos inside Chernobyl containment vessel after the accident, with stalactites of melted down uranium fuel hanging from a ceiling (why didn't the film fog?), fishing boats stranded a mile inland from the shrunken Caspian Sea shoreline and an article on a steel plant.

There's also a photo essay book in my library (printed in the U.S.) by a Soviet soldier of his time in Afghanistan during their war. The 35mm film quality was not great, but the shots are fantastic and fascinating.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

WOW

I just saw this and when I clcked on the link the first photograph was mine from 25 yars ago , I was only 16 when I took this and lived in Russian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thank you for the link...........I have the original magazine. I have wierd feeling with my stomack in the knot looking at this image , it took me right back to this street , lots of water has gone under a bridge since...

ILYAASKINAZI.com - check me out

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ilya1963 View Post
    Thank you for the link...........I have the original magazine. I have wierd feeling with my stomack in the knot looking at this image , it took me right back to this street , lots of water has gone under a bridge since...

ILYAASKINAZI.com - check me out
    Ilya/sbelyaev

Is the publication you're referring to the one that was distributed in the US as "Soviet Life"?

If so, I know a bookstore, deep in the woods near Copake, New York that has a bunch of these for sale. I always figured they gotten them from an "old Leftist" US subscriber who ultimately gave or sold them to the bookstore.

I know I remember seeing the occassional copy back in the 1960's and '70's at college and grad school.

While I've sometimes been tempted to buy some because of the great photos - I haven't done so. The last thing I need is to start cluttering the house with even more magazines! Besides, the store is a "cozy place" that will let you sit there for hours reading whatever they have laying around - so why bother to buy?

Anyway, if you are near New York and are interested in checking out this "collection" I can guide you to the bookstore.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanx George, I live in Maine , but do have family in the city ( NY)
    It just floored me when I saw my forgotten work and made me think how life has evolved since ... I have the original magazine that my couple of prints were published in... Thanks again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin