Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,796   Online: 1175

Shooter
    Multi Format

Anyone seen the latest Larry Towell book? (Katrina photos)

Was wondering if anyone here has checked out a copy of Larry Towell's In the Wake of Katrina?

I was browing Amazon and came across it. Don't have too much of an interest in Katrina but Towell's work always appeals to me, so I'd like to hear from someone who's checked it out.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Can I ask a couple of questions?

1) Are the photographs made with film?

If no...Stop

If yes...

2) Is he a member of APUG?

Remember, we have Sam Portera....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're funning with me, correct?

1) As far as I know, Towell still shoots with film. B&W film at that. (If he switches, or switched, to digital I doubt what he does would change very much and his work would continue to be powerful.)

B) Towell is a member of Magnum. I don't know if has an interest in APUG or not, but don't see how it has anything to do with his work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephen, I had a chance to look at the book while doing some last minute shopping. I liked it very much and may pick it up in the future. I think its well done.

If I have my facts correct, Mr. Portera is not the only man photographing the devastation on New Orleans, and Mr. Towell uses film for the images he makes, however the quality and the importance of the work he did for the book does not suffer from what kind of materials he used to produce it. And I may be out on a limb here, but if Mr. Towell is a member here, I wouldn't know because I haven't read any of his posts telling other members to stop posting about another photographers work because it may have not been shot using film...just a guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply Michael.

Even the largest sellers often fail to stock a wide selection of photo books; so much of my shopping is online. And with books of images, unless you have seen the work previously, this can be a frustrating way to shop.

Amazon's "Search Inside" is a nice feature but, alas, isn't available for all titles.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin