Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,151   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"Chuck Close Revives the Daguerreotype" (as if)

The new PDN arrived today with a dag of Chuck Close on the cover.

Sorry if I can't help but think that Close knows famous people to sell as 'Legendary' images to Vanity Fair while Spagnoli ends up credited as merely being in attendance.

Glad I didn't get the $15K limited edition -- how the heck do you justify $15K for a 'limited edition' or 75? Isn't the idea of "dag appeal" largely the fact that there's only an edition of one?

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    pdn - making legends in their own minds.

blah ba blah ba blah

What's with celebrity worship?

But good for Chuck getting people to part with their money.

I should be so lucky.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Mr. Close has paid his dues. Everyone that buys deserves what they get.
    Mr Spagnoli is well known and respected in the circles that matter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I saw a Chuck Close exhibition (some new, some old portraits of famous persons) last November. It was all big Digital Prints on Inkjet plotters (good quality). You could clearly distinguish the traces that are left on the image from digital manipulation (scanning, photoshoping). It was disgusting, knowing that the originals must have been beautiful 8x10 inch polaroids or something similar... I woudn't pay more than 500 euros for a print like that...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All downhill since the thumbprint pics, imo

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On a more positive note, when someone more well known goes towards a more traditional or older photographic process, then it can create a greater awareness of such process. PDN is still read by many art directors and advertising executives. I don't think any greater public awareness of daguerrotypes is a bad thing.

On Chuck Close, I see him more as an artist who uses a camera. If I were to criticize his style, I would state that it is mundane. However, lots of people seem to like that style. If you are the first to do something (really large prints), then sometimes the novelty can be enough to sustain the style. Anyway, good for him with his success.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin