Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,170   Online: 745

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ansel Adams at the Bellagio in Las Vegas

I visited the Ansel Adams exhibit at the Bellagio in Vegas today.

I believe all the prints were made by the master himself. Maybe someone else knows better. It is an excellent show, about 40 prints and and some artifacts from Ansel Adams life. You can even look through/at the ground glass of his 8x10 view camera.

I must say the prints, mounted in a gallery in fine lighting are breath taking.

Viewing the large print of the Face of Halfdome was an emotional moment. It is unbelievable that he could acheive such beauty using plates, older paper and ancient optics.

I was torn between going right out and photographing anything, and throwing my cameras in the ocean. A very inspiring expostion.

AARG, I am 2000 miles from my film camera and only have a crappy digital point and shoot with me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ahhhh, you got a classic case of halfdomedigititis.

I can remember my first viewing of a real AA photograph..."Tenya Creek, Dogwoods, Rain" or something like that as a title. At the Weston Gallery in Carmel...early '80's. It was hung low so I could just sit cross-legged on the floor and stare at it...loved those rocks along the creek! I wanted the tonality of those rocks in my creek photos! It was great knowing they were possible!

Vaughn

PS I want to check out the Valley of Fire (east of Vegas) one of these days!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vaughn, I have been to the AA show and have photographed at the Valley of Fire twice. I can't figure out why it is not a National Park. It is totally outstanding. You make a long drive to it and just when you think there is nothing to see you go over a rise and bang it's there in front of you. It's a magnificent place and I will be going there again whenever I can.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I agree that AA at the Bellagio is a very good exhibit. I saw this last spring and may drop in again.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Vaughn, I have been to the AA show and have photographed at the Valley of Fire twice. I can't figure out why it is not a National Park. It is totally outstanding. You make a long drive to it and just when you think there is nothing to see you go over a rise and bang it's there in front of you. It's a magnificent place and I will be going there again whenever I can.
    Valley Of Fire is one of my favorite get-away side trips when in Las Vegas. I'm not the outdoorsy type at all, but I love the place. I even got up at some ungodly hour last spring one day to shoot the Rainbow Vista at sunrise.

Oh, it isn't a National Park, because Nevada got it as a State Park first.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgallb View Post
    Viewing the large print of the Face of Halfdome was an emotional moment. It is unbelievable that he could acheive such beauty using plates, older paper and ancient optics.

Something I like to attempt to communicate to people, especially a certain kind, is that the technology for making outstanding photographs was in place long before many of us were born, and that allot of photo technology is a diversion, and some (especially lately) is regressive. No piece of gear, no camera, no program, no computer, will make you into a master photographer and printer. This is so lost on the mainstream, and yet so obvious.

Whenever I doubt that, I just go to an exhibit by a old master.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Come north a couple hundred miles to Tonopah and I'll fix you up with an 8X10 so you can relieve your frustration. Ancient optics won't be a problem.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you know if it's still up in March? (I have a marketing conference in Vegas then).
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Something I like to attempt to communicate to people, especially a certain kind, is that the technology for making outstanding photographs was in place long before many of us were born, and that allot of photo technology is a diversion, and some (especially lately) is regressive. No piece of gear, no camera, no program, no computer, will make you into a master photographer and printer. This is so lost on the mainstream, and yet so obvious.

Whenever I doubt that, I just go to an exhibit by a old master.
    Well said.

My old English teacher once said that to learn to write, read. I think the same can be said for photography, you have to look. Now, I need to find galleries showing Weston, Lange and others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blaze-on the exhibt goes to May 7,2007. I saw it in October and it is well worth it to take the time to view it. Cost is $15 if you are not a guest of the hotel. They give you a audio paddle so that by putting in the number of the print you are in front of you get a brief explanation of what you are viewing.
    Here is a link for the Belagio - go to attractions and then the fine art gallery.

http://www.bellagio.com

Gord

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's still there!
    Right On!
    I saw it back in May. I saw it with my wife and the thing I remember the most, was that she said she understood me and photography a little better after seeing the exhibit.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin