Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,533   Online: 1005

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Michael Kenna Exhibition, Banbury, Oxon UK

Hello,

I see that Michael Kenna has a retrospective at Banbury, Oxfordshire from now until 4th March. (http://theonlinephotographer.blogspo...ry-museum.html)

Has anyone been yet? What did you think?

He's probably my favourite contemporary photographer at the moment so I'll be making the 2 hour trip down the M40, but not for a few weeks yet.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I intend going, possibly this weekend, if the weather brightens, the ajoining canal should provide a photo-opportunity.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I intend going, possibly this weekend, if the weather brightens, the ajoining canal should provide a photo-opportunity.
    Excellent -- can you let us know what's it like?

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I intend to make a trip there in the next few weeks as well. I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info. I take it that it is in the Tourist Information Centre in the Castle Quay Shopping Centre?

The wife goes there frequently. I'll try and persuade her to go to the Exhibition first. Then if I hold her hand tightly to stop her wandering off, I might be able to save some money.

Mind you holding her hand tightly about 39 yrs ago was the start of the trouble.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's a link to the museum site.

http://www.cherwell-dc.gov.uk/banbur...sandevents.cfm
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We visited the exhibition today and considered it well worth the effort of the journey; so much so that we brought the book! The pictures are nicely hung and lit, so are easy to view. The venue is good with a café on the ground floor selling good, reasonably priced food, and beverages. Banbury is directly off the M40, junction 11, and the museum is a short walk from the station, so it’s quite accessible.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Now I know it's at the Tourist Information Centre, I can add that there is a permanent small exhibition of the canal system with working models which might be interesting for the kids. You can also see the remains of Tooley's Boatyard which was a working canal boat repair yard.

Centre of Banbury is quite interesting for those with an inclination for photographing old buildings.

For those with a car, the town of Woodstock with its museum is about 30-40 mins away, right next to Blenheim Palace.

pentaxuser

pentaxuser.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Dave and pentaxuser.

Dave -- aren't his books a bit pricey? £50 or so? I brought his calendar this year which is really nice. £14 but very high quality printing and paper.

Unfortunately Woodstock is in the opposite direction to me -- I'd love to go to Blenheim, haven't been for years.

Cheers

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    We visited the exhibition today and considered it well worth the effort of the journey; so much so that we brought the book!
    Dave - which book? I've been looking for a copy of The 20 yr Retrospective but it's been out of print. I'm thinking of making the trip so if it's available there that would be an additional incentive!
    Regards,
    Richard.

RH Designs - My Photography

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin