Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,813   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

"Young Portfolio" submission at KMoPA in Japan.

If you're 35 or younger, you have a chance to submit your work to this relatively new contemporay-art museum, which might purchase it:

In an effort to preserve works by young persons enthusiastic about expressing themselves through the art of photography, the Kiyosato Museum of Photographic Arts(K┼EMoPA) issues an annual call for submissions to its "Young Porfolios" program. This is not a contest. All photographers, professional or amateur and regardless of nationality, are invited to submit their published or unpublished works to be considered for induction into the Museum's permanent collection. The single condition is that applicants must be 35 years old or younger. We look forward to receiving unique images showcasing the creativity of younger artists in the field of photography.

Young Portfolio Acquisitions 2007

Application period
    Submissions for 2007 must arrive no earlier than April 15, 2007, and no later than April 30, 2007.

http://www.kmopa.com/yp_main_e.htm

The age limit kills me because it sounds pretty silly, but what the heck, if you meet the requirement, you have a shot.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just wish they'd have an Old Fart Portfolio Acquistion someday.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting, I will certainly consider this. Best. Shawn

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't remember the name of the person, but one APUGer had his accepted and purchased by this museum through this process and he mentioned about it a while ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "6. Panel Mounted and Over-matted works are not acceptable"

I'm not sure what Panel Mounted means? Is that just regular dry mounting? Am I correct in assuming that they only accept loose prints?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas View Post
    "6. Panel Mounted and Over-matted works are not acceptable"

I'm not sure what Panel Mounted means? Is that just regular dry mounting? Am I correct in assuming that they only accept loose prints?
    Actually I'm fairly new to the Japanese photo scene in a way so that I don't know and/or understand a lot of things yet. But a "panel" for photo use is usually a wood-panel that you glue your photo onto. People do it with foamcore, too, and it's pretty much the same. Drying-mounting is less popular because it takes more effort and professional skills, and it requires proper equipment, I guess.

But you don't need any of that for this submission. You just have to send your prints, "loose" prints only, just like any other photo competition and/or contest, seemingly. And you should contact the museum for further info.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I contacted them, and they are not wanting drymounted prints. Loose prints only.

This is a problem for someone such as myself who shoots with an 8x10 and larger camera and only makes contact prints. The sides of all my prints have the black film borders around the edge which are usually trimmed off when dry mounting the print.

These black borders are not part of my original visioned imaged, so I don't want them to be part of the photograph. They worked for photographers such a Avedon, but not many LF photographers exhibit with the funky black borders.

Also, I don't want just loose prints of mine, with no information or signature on them being in an important museum. I would only want finished, editioned fine art prints only.

I could just trim the prints, and send them that...but it does not look nearly as good to get a print thats printed to the edge of a paper. Another problem is, I'm only printing on AZO which is single weight and very fragile, and does not flatten as nice as the normal cardstock photo papers on the market today.

I guess if they select your work for their museum, they just keep the prints you sent them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan McIntosh View Post
    I guess if they select your work for their museum, they just keep the prints you sent them.
    NO, read one of the PDF files there for the details carefully. They want good work prints (can be RC) from you for the viewing/judging purpose first, and if they accept your work, you will be required to do your work in an archival form later on, that is the FB prints that you do. There are two steps involved.

However, you should send them the final-quality prints for the viewing. Don't send your work if you don't have any backup. Also, it says when you send, you put your info (your name, etc) on the back of your loose prints with pencil. So you info will stay with them, and your prints perhaps won't get lost.

By the way, save your art for yourself first and don't get carried away by this sort of temptation. This is only one opportunity out of many. No need to rush.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    NO, read one of the PDF files there for the details carefully. They want good work prints (can be RC) from you for the viewing/judging purpose first, and if they accept your work, you will be required to do your work in an archival form later on, that is the FB prints that you do. There are two steps involved.
    It seems that the instructions aren't that clear - from reading them, it comes off as saying "You can send your final prints, or you can send workprints on RC and if we select them, you can send your final prints."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rjas View Post
    It seems that the instructions aren't that clear - from reading them, it comes off as saying "You can send your final prints, or you can send workprints on RC and if we select them, you can send your final prints."
    My writing or their instruction on their PDF file?

The best bet is to send your finished/final-quality prints on FB if you have backups. If you don't, make the best sample prints on FB or RC just for sending to their viewing/judging. I think this is what they mean in their instruction.
    Last edited by firecracker; 02-11-2007 at 03:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin