Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,717   Online: 890

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"Dissing" Lenswork...

Has anyone read David Vestal's critique of Lenswork in the current issue of PhotoTechniques? He doesn't actually name the magazine, but describes it quite specifically nonetheless. I usually enjoy Vestal's column grounded as it is in about a zillion years of experience in the profession as a photographer and as a teacher at a major NYC art school. I often agree wholeheartedly with him, but in this case, I have to spend some time absorbing what he finds objectionable (waaaay too precious renderings of 'graphs that may well be more course than the magazine presents..I think!). I like Lenswork. It'll be interesting to personally critique it with reference to another's perspective.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who has time to read mags at home....therefore I subscribe to none. At Borders, once in a while over coffee, i'll check out Lenswork and/or view camera mag. Oh...UK's b&w is pretty good also...but they keep spelling things wrong.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    Emulsion (only received one issue)
    I owe Aggie an apology. She contacted me to rectify the situation, which made me look for which issue I had received. Turns out volume one of Emulsion was filed away and I never even read it. So, Aggie, I am sorry for the confusion and unintentional slight.

Larry

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I subscribe to Amateur Photographer, Black and White Photography (UK), Lenswork Extended, View Camera and Outdoor Photographer.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Curently I subscribe to B&WP UK and no others.

I used to subscribe to Amateur Photography, until the price went up. I then measured the amount of time I spent actually reading an issue and binned the subscription.

Practical Photography also used to be on my subscription list despite the increasing amount of digital content. Then a couple of years ago they did a Black and White special without any traditional photography in it (except a token "what film for what purpose" which was of very debatable merit) closely followed by an issue containing the phrase, "lost hours in smelly darkrooms".

I concluded that I shouldn't pay to be pissed off when there were so many people in the world prepared to piss me off for free...

Ailsa's mag is a cut above the rest IMO. As long as the digital content doesn't grow and Mike Crawford doesn't put in too many howlers (eg. "MGWT FB gives no tonal shift in Gold Toner"?!!! (paraphrase) :o :rolleyes: ) then I think I'll be subscribing for a long time to come.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like Emulsion so far. I also subscribe to Black & White Photography (UK).
    I have stopped buying or even browsing through other magazines in the newsstands.
    /matti

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    I just subscribed to JPG, first magazine I have subscribed to in a long time.
    Good stuff!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Like most of us with GAS, it's most likely our disease has metastasized to magazines too. Which magazines do you buy on a regular basis or subscribe to? ....
    Regards, Art. (Thank goodness I never subscribed to Emulsion - I had a gut feeling that would turn out bad)
    Art,

Is there something about Emulsion we should know about?

It is about time for Issue #3.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Amateur Photographer every week
    Practical Photographer monthly on subscription which will soon be replaced with a subscription to:
    Back and White Photography (UK)

That's it really. I tend to buy photography books from secondhand shops instead of magazines - usually for the same price. e.g. this weekend I bought Linda McCartney's 1960's book for £2.99 which is about the same as you would pay for a monthly magazine here.

Steve.

Steve,

I'm with you on this. I recently bought Annie Leibovitz's "1996 Olympics" book at a usedbooks store for about the same price (i.e. USD 5.00)!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i used to subscribe to view camera, but it lapsed ..
    i pick up lenswork when i can at the local bookstore ( like drew )
    and i wish post factory photography was still being published, now THAT was a
    magazine!

john

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin