Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,160   Online: 1099

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which mags do you buy?

Like most of us with GAS, it's most likely our disease has metastasized to magazines too. Which magazines do you buy on a regular basis or subscribe to? I'll go first. I don't subscribe to all of these, but buy most of them on a regular basis - I should subscribe, since it'll will be cheaper in the end!

Photo
    Photo Life <--a really good photo mag from Canada
    PDN
    Victor <--Hasselblad's new mag - replaces Forum
    Light Leaks <--for Toy Cameras
    JPG
    B&W <--the collector one, not the UK one of the same name
    Black + White <--a fantastic Australian mag and different than the above two mentioned
    View Camera
    Camera Arts
    foto8 <--great UK photojournalism mag
    Lenswork
    Shots
    The New Nude
    Photographer's Forum
    American Photo <--it's getting a bit "Coors Lite" for me

Every now and then I'll admit browsing through 'pop' photo mags like Popular Photography - they're like Coors Lite is to beer - junk food for the photography mind.

Regards, Art. (Thank goodness I never subscribed to Emulsion - I had a gut feeling that would turn out bad)
    Last edited by gr82bart; 02-25-2007 at 07:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks as you get the bulk of the lot !! Camera Arts is on it's last leg IMO--I generally keep the imaging mags. but CA generally heads for the can---content has become boring and un-interesting--- Shots is one of my faves with some great images always--- I perruse stuff like Pop Photog too but there is little of interest-- VC is still a fave--the UK B&W mag I really like--PDN is a very interesting read usually-- I tend to hang out at my Barnes and Noble and have a nice Starbucks Venti Caramel Latte as I browse--I actually buy very few and subscribe to few--- my mail constantly is wet or otherwise damaging to a magazine ! I subs. to PDN, B&W the collecter/buyer one, and Shots !
    Joseph Burke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Art!
    Every once in a while, I'll pick up a copy of B&W if I know someone here is featured. I'll also snag an occasional copy of Photo Techniques cause they still deal with "Real" photography stuff & darkroom stuff.

As for Emulsion... I love it! If putting out a good magazine that deals with "real" photography = "turning out bad" then I wish to heck that more photo magazines would 'turn out bad'. Too bad you missed the boat on that one! Great articles & high quality printing.

It's kind of like supporting APUG... why would anyone not support all things dedicated to film-based photography?
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by gr82bart View Post
    Like most of us with GAS, it's most likely our disease has metastasized to magazines too. Which magazines do you buy on a regular basis or subscribe to? I'll go first. I don't subscribe to all of these, but buy most of them on a regular basis - I should subscribe, since it'll will be cheaper in the end!

Photo
    Photo Life <--a really good photo mag from Canada
    PDN
    Victor <--Hasselblad's new mag - replaces Forum
    Light Leaks <--for Toy Cameras
    JPG
    B&W
    Black + White <--a fantastic Australian mag
    View Camera
    Camera Arts
    foto8 <--great UK photojournalism mag
    Lenswork
    Shots
    The New Nude
    Photographer's Forum
    American Photo <--it's getting a bit "Coors Lite" for me

Every now and then I'll admit browsing through 'pop' photo mags like Popular Photography - they're like Coors Lite is to beer - junk food for the photography mind.

Regards, Art. (Thank goodness I never subscribed to Emulsion - I had a gut feeling that would turn out bad)
    While you've made a pretty good list there are even more than listed above. Just googling "Photography Magazines" turned up some I've never heard of before. Even though I never read it I can't beleive you forgot "Shutterbug". Ditto for Aperture.

My monthly photo budget is limited as well as my time so I've restricted the number of magazines to three now:

Lens Work
    View Camera
    Black & White

If money were no object I would probably subscribe or buy them all no matter how wretched, there is always a need for reading material while sitting on the throne. Yes some photo mags are pure swill.

Also let us not forget ezines which are found on the WWW only.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Amateur Photographer every week
    Practical Photographer monthly on subscription which will soon be replaced with a subscription to:
    Back and White Photography (UK)

That's it really. I tend to buy photography books from secondhand shops instead of magazines - usually for the same price. e.g. this weekend I bought Linda McCartney's 1960's book for £2.99 which is about the same as you would pay for a monthly magazine here.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 02-25-2007 at 08:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I tend to buy photography books <snip>
    Oh I'm not even going to list those I have! Now we're talking bookshelves of books. I probably have several hundred photography books easily. GAS, MAS and BAS. Deadly diseases all.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't we have a similar thread recently? Not that that's going to stop me ...

The only magazine I subscribe to is PDN. Not every issue is interesting (being in Australia, I find their annual '50 states' issue to be pretty dull) but overall it's the best all round photo magazine that I know of.

Used to subscribe to Hasselblad Forum but I let it lapse & haven't felt compelled to take it up again.

Has the print quality of View Camera magazine dropped over the years? I bought an issue a year or so back & thought the reproduction quality was poor. I'm sure it was printed much better 6 or so years ago when I used to read a mate's copies. Print quality is important when you are promoting the resolution advantages of large format.

8 looks like a really interesting magazine, it's just the price that has put me off subscribing so far. I might just bite the bullet & subscribe for 1 year.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I subscribe to _LensWork_, _Aperture_, and _Emulsion_ these days.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    Has the print quality of View Camera magazine dropped over the years? I bought an issue a year or so back & thought the reproduction quality was poor.
    I think VC has maintained the quality of its photographic reproductions rather consistently. It has actually even improved its text by being better proofed than it used to be.

The magazine I find lacking in quality is B&W. Even though I subscribe, I am almost always disappointed by the reproductions therein. Still...it's the only thing on the stand that is quite like itself.

Otherwise, I maintain my interest in and subscription to Lenswork. It's a really well made publication.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Black and White (UK)
    Lenswork
    Photo Techniques
    Emulsion (only received one issue)

I have let the others I used to get lapse because I didn't have the time to read them. I will make time to read Lenswork and Black and White.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin