Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,023   Online: 930

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

A note about the Vade Mecum

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but if it's not maybe a moderator can move it please?

In the PDF version of the Lens Collectors Vade Mecum on page 72 is a discussion about the F2.9 / 8" lenses used on the Williamson F24 aerial cameras from WWII ( WW2 ). They state that while many companies made these lenses for Williamson, Dallmeyer were the only company to print their name on the lens barrels and that the Air Ministry number was 14A/7080.

I have one of these lenses and the stamp is in the form of a "J H D" in white outlined ink letters, but .... the Air Ministry number is 14A/780 , not 7080 which is why I think that the Vade Mecum has a misprint.

Just an FYI for anyone doing future research on the internet (seeing as APUG is going to be the repository for analog photography information).

cheers eh?
    Last edited by John Bartley; 03-07-2007 at 06:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Misprints, mistakes and misinformation in the Vade Mecum is nothing new.

I have a growing list of them, although it's generally better on British lenses than on anything else. But it's still the best resource around...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's a fabulous resource, and the reason I posted was to have an internet record. Hopefully these threads are searched occasionally and someone researching this lens will find it.

Maybe we should have a Vade Mecum corrections thread somewhere ... sort of like a wikki?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe Sean (or one of the moderators) can make this a sticky thread and all you lens gurus can post corrections/updates for the rest of us.
    Last edited by Sanjay Sen; 03-08-2007 at 09:42 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: We can't do it, they can!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I could, but let's see if we get more "errata" first.

I've mislaid my own copy of the VM, so I won't be correcting anything until I can find out what's wrong...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin