Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,663   Online: 889

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Interesting how someone writing about black and white also sees the world as black and white, eh?
    Dear Michel,

Well, grey-and-grey, anyway. An essential prerequisite of existential artspeak is the reduplication of incompletely realized sub-meaningful and heavily-hyphenated(1) near-statements in a manner reminiscent of hysterical fugue (a state first described, albeit in other terms, over two centuries ago as ' a perverse humour for gadding') in such a manner as to re-create the illusion of reading a bad translation of Proust while stoned out of one's head on opiated Afghan black, the resonances of which [23 pages of the same sentence omitted here] are such as to lead the uninformed, unsophisticated or merely literate reader, to say nothing of the competent photographer, to give up before grasping the argument.

(1) and footnoted, or hypertext cross-linked

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All I know is G Clooney's new film, The Good German, is a good try at film noir style cinema (even if the story is weak). The director, Soderbergh, deliberately used very old lenses and harsh lighting to get 'the look'.
    Last edited by Andy K; 03-10-2007 at 01:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarification

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    The "point" of artspeak escapes me; for what purpose does it exist, apart from serving to obfuscate the text's subject?

Tom.
    The reason why it exists is that people are too pusillanimous to speak of art in plain terms. They feel it would somewhat diminish the importance of their beloved object to use topical sentences linked together in a coherent manner. It's an excroissance of everyone's general tendency to switch to poetic mode when they must talk about art, only it is mingled with intellectually bankrupt academic clichés, sophistry, and meagre analyses.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Michel,

Well, grey-and-grey, anyway. An essential prerequisite of existential artspeak is the reduplication of incompletely realized sub-meaningful and heavily-hyphenated(1) near-statements in a manner reminiscent of hysterical fugue (a state first described, albeit in other terms, over two centuries ago as ' a perverse humour for gadding') in such a manner as to re-create the illusion of reading a bad translation of Proust while stoned out of one's head on opiated Afghan black, the resonances of which [23 pages of the same sentence omitted here] are such as to lead the uninformed, unsophisticated or merely literate reader, to say nothing of the competent photographer, to give up before grasping the argument.

(1) and footnoted, or hypertext cross-linked

Cheers,

R.
    Dear Roger,

I must add also that the pre/sentation of modern art/speak also depends heavily on (re)vealing the complexity underlying the apparent simplicity of ordinary langue-age by trying to say at the same time a thing and its contrary (not), or by spurious etym-o-logy, puns, and silly port/manteaux words that are supposed ex/pose the seams of language itself and (re)veil its contra/dictions.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never got very far through that article before I voke up with a keyboard patterned cheek
    a brief for us whoes native language is not english?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Last edited by Soeren; 03-10-2007 at 03:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell View Post
    After reading it, I still have no idea of why it was written.
    Oh, good! I thought I was the only one ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I may have noted here once before that a woman I knew who was writing her doctoral thesis had a major set-to with her adviser because she refused to use the kind of academic language of which art-speak is an idiom. He insisted that such language was imperative to maintain the tone of academic rigor...she insisted that that was bullshyt. She prevailed and has her PHD.

Is there an academic discipline that doesn't foster such language?
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Dear Roger,

I must add also that the pre/sentation of modern art/speak also depends heavily on (re)vealing the complexity underlying the apparent simplicity of ordinary langue-age by trying to say at the same time a thing and its contrary (not), or by spurious etym-o-logy, puns, and silly port/manteaux words that are supposed ex/pose the seams of language itself and (re)veil its contra/dictions.
    Dear Michel,

I confess myself out-(art)-spoken!

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas View Post
    Perhaps to hide the fact the speaker has little original thought to convey?
    I totally disagree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte Cotton
    I am sure I'm not alone in beginning to think that the more complex, messy, unfashionable, and broad territory of black-and-white photography is where we are going to find some of the grist to the mill in photography's substantive and longer-term positioning within art.
    Exactly why is this considered empty, obfuscatory, or objectionable?
    Last edited by bjorke; 03-10-2007 at 08:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    I never got very far through that article before I voke up with a keyboard patterned cheek
    a brief for us whoes native language is not english?
    Cheers
    Søren
    Big colour prints are on the way out & B&W is looking cool again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin