Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,836   Online: 821

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    For some reason, in this country, the idea of "relaxation" is always emphasized, and it sells!
    Also "iyasi-kei" - healing and "nagomi-kei" - thawing out. There's a huge market
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, that was my suspicion as well - but I can't read Kanji for beans.

Interesting that he can manage to sell books and mags, over here he would probably just have a flickr stream with lots of people <3 <3 <3 'ing him

Google translates the full title of "Woman Camera" as "The woman camera - catching the instant it is lovely & cute & clean with digital single-lens reflex!" (Am I the only one who thinks that "Real Simple" is actually a photo mag?)

I read an interview (in PingMag) with Rinka is which she gushes a bit about Rolleiflex and then describes how shooting and processing are metaphorically like shopping and cooking.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KB • PhotoRant • PhotoPermit • APUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kunihiko View Post
    Also "iyasi-kei" - healing and "nagomi-kei" - thawing out. There's a huge market
    Exactly! It sounds like we all live in some kind of sex-massage service industry... Why aren't they called, "nature-loving, urban-yuppie, quasi modern-art practitioners and worshippers" or something more descriptive instead?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I wonder how it would work out trying to shoot datsuryoku style with a 20x24 camera while hiking in the Rockies... Could be an interesting challenge! Anyone?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    I wonder how it would work out trying to shoot datsuryoku style with a 20x24 camera while hiking in the Rockies... Could be an interesting challenge! Anyone?
    Right. The term, "datsuryoku" means "out of energy" or "no energy" in a normal literal sense, so as you said, it's realy like, "how?" It doesn't make sense because the term also sounds representing a slacker culture, you know, so do slackers hike up moutains and go, "yeah, we made it! Feels great!"

But the things this has to do with the viewers' perception, and for their consumption, it seems the viewers are the ones who rule out so much about the styles that artists(photographers, musicians, actors/actresses, etc) present. They are talking about the surface quality in a sense that goes synthetic with the looks of the artists. They say, "oh, he/she(artist) looks such and such, because of such and such." Or "by looking at the work of xxx (the name of the artist), I feel relaxed." Or "I like the way this xxx (the name of the artist) lives his/her life." That's very cool/neat/idealisitc, etc"

So, to some extent, to the viewers, it doesn't matter what real effort that the artists (have to make) is, the viewers only care about some sort of the "effortless-ness", that is their meaning of "out-of-energy." But those artists, or at least their marketing representatives including art curators, critics, and other reviwers know how to play this game.

So, if you look at someone who works like a hardworking car-mechanic with his face covered with machine oil and lots of sweat, wearing a jumpsuit on a hot summer day, but is actually a furniture designer for Ikea or Muji, which have very clean-cut, simplistic and/or minimalist, and hip products, you as a viewer don't call his (life) style, "datsuryoku" or "iyashi", etc. This is the best example I could give you, and I hope I'm not confusing you too much with it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm suspecting the American musical term is "easy listening"

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    I'm suspecting the American musical term is "easy listening"
    Or "New Age", I think it shares the same idea. Besides relaxation, it is about the "soothing" experience that people talk about.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bumping this a bit... on Friday night I met Rinko Kawauchi at Photoalliance in San Francisco. She was the featured artist and I get the impression that she does NOT like to be out in the public -- that outside her family she is highly introverted. I've found quite a few of her books (all but one, I think) here and in Japan & she was nice enough to sign them all (at the happy urging of her publisher -- her books are not normally for sale in the US, so when some blond guy comes up with a stack, I think the cash registers in his head started jingling ) *

Actually once I got a hold of it "Cui Cui" is now one of my all-time favorite photo books. And "Utatane" is not far behind. "The eyes, the ears" (cover image below) is also quite a beautiful effort.

Issues of "Cafe Photo" since this thread was new have been less interesting, Foujita seems much more aimed at fetishizing over old cameras and his portfolios have gotten increasingly slick and pre-planned. Power to him for getting it done, though....

kb

* If you know Kawauchi's work, imagine THIS: as I stepped out of the room after meeting her, what do I see but an unexpected towering blossom of fireworks rising behind Telegraph Hill.... !!!!

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    35mm
    The real sad news:

http://www.genkosha.com/kimagure/200...afe_photo.html

In his blog he says he's been confirmed by his publisher that Cafe Photo magazine will be gone, and the 3rd issue is very likely the last issue. However, he says he's looking for a publisher to help him continue publishing the magazine (with the same title or not) even if it has to slow down to a few issues per year...

I saw one issue in a bookstore, though. I didn't buy but liked it. Maybe I really should've bought it...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin