Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,403   Online: 833

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Japan: "Cafe Photo" filmtastic

It took forever to find this thing on the web.

"The coffee photo magazine - the magazine of the photograph which is enjoyed with the full coffee."

I ran across a copy of #1 at Kinokuniya. Shot on Polaroid, Hasselblad 503, Rolleiflex, Canon F-1, a Horizon, some toy cameras, lots of Tri-X, and just two shots made with a Ricoh GRD which were then hybrid-printed ....

The whole magazine shot by ONE GUY, "Issaque Foujita" whos name comes up in quite a few yahoo auction listings....

Anyone know anything more? This seems to be conneced to the "cameras are accesories for beautiful women" axis of Japanese photography (esp. nostalgic cameras, so you can look like Audrey Hepburn?) -- you see it in lots of ads or the little book "We Love Holga" -- is it a camera book, or a fashion book? The second issue of "Cafe Photo" comes attached to "Woman Camera" magazine...

Quote Originally Posted by Google Translate
    (From a review) If 枻 (to be to obtain,) you mention the publication, the publisher which issues the light publisher's series in regard to the mook, and the photograph of the film camera of Leica and [rorai] etc. The new photograph magazine like whether it opposes to digital age of, last year was issued from the same company. There are some which lead to magazine 'photograph day harmony' as a paste. Photographer Fujita one whom it forms 咲 it calls “exhaustion system”. In a word with the joke, furthermore the shoulders and elbows it probably is the style which is not stretched? Prejudice to film camera is felt, but never it is not for [ojinoban]. Well, now running digitally, [ru] as for if anything it is middle to advanced age, but. Call the magazine of the young person direction which enjoys photograph play with such as [horuga] it may. 2 3 it continues, somewhere it is something which an arrow is wanted rewarding to the Japanese photograph industrial circles which start being warped.

(From Amazon)Even in the thornback library series well-known, exhaustion type photographer Fujita one 咲 collected materials from photographing, everything it took charge to layout and constitution, just a little foppery the magazine of the photograph new foundation. Little essay being attached to the work which was photographed with the various cameras the Polaroid camera and the toy camera, price and type etc such as Leica and [hatsuseruburatsudo] regardless of it reaches, the episode which is in the midst of photographing is written, the person who likes the photograph and the person who likes the coffee seeing, reading, it is the magazine which it can enjoy. In comparison with the present library series, also the fact that the monochrome photograph is many is feature. All the way, with this book of the happiness which affuses at time or the home which the feeling which to the coffee is good by all means!

----------

In related news, the current PHAT (normally not my cup of ocha) contains a feature on Brian Ulrich
    Last edited by bjorke; 04-11-2007 at 03:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KB • PhotoRant • PhotoPermit • APUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    This looks like his (new) blog and it's linked to another magazine called, "Photo Technique" where he contributes articles:

http://www.genkosha.com/kimagure/

I don't know anything about him partly because I don't subscribe usually any magazines. But I will take a look at the copy of the Cafe Photo magazine when I have a chance. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by firecracker; 04-11-2007 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a camera(photography) book, saying "a magazine for those who enjoy photography with a cup of coffee".
    Very relaxing way of photography. Issaku Fujita is a popular writer for that kind of essay.

>> The second issue of "Cafe Photo" comes attached to "Woman Camera" magazine...
    This one.
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%A5%B3%E5.../dp/4898146996
    It's a camera magazine for (young?) women especialy for beginners, "what is SLR?" or something like that.
    Last edited by kunihiko; 04-11-2007 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    This looks like his (new) blog and it's linked to another magazine called, "Photo Technique" where he contributes articles:

http://www.genkosha.com/kimagure/
    Wow, so... he's like the Roger Hicks of Japan?

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Kunihiko-san might have a better idea because I really don't know the scene, but according to my google search, which I didn't find that much of his information, he is a columnist of some kind...

But I also have read somewhere that he's a self-taught photographer, not previously trained in any photo school or anything at all.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rinko Kawauchi seems an important touchstone for this broad theme of Japanese photo/media, though that first issue of Cafe has an obvious semblance to HCB's famous little wine carrier.

It seems like every teen girl wanted to be Hiromix a couple years back, now as young mom-aged women with SLRs they want to be Rinko?

What exactly IS "exhaustion system"?

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Rinko Kawauchi seems an important touchstone for this broad theme of Japanese photo/media, though that first issue of Cafe has an obvious semblance to HCB's famous little wine carrier.

It seems like every teen girl wanted to be Hiromix a couple years back, now as young mom-aged women with SLRs they want to be Rinko?

What exactly IS "exhaustion system"?
    Where did you see the "exhaustion system"? I have no idea, though.

And about Kawauchi, Hiromix, and HCB etc, I would say this. The area of professional photography over here seems pretty narrow-scoped, so whoever fits in and can play in it will be known to the public. Hiromix was and probably still is a cult phenomenon and perceived more like a rock star. On the other hand, the work of Kawauchi is more like an ideal life-style icon of a sub-culture. HCB fits all of above, always treated as god-like both in the mainstream and the non-mainstream, and he's still known as a photojournalist, so he gets the game everywhere. Also, some of his photo prints are stored in several museums within the country, and every once in a while, quite randomly though, they get shown.

But as far as the trend goes, I don't really know what aspires and makes people desire. We live in a very mixed-up (and I personally say, "confused") popular culture here. It's like asking how do they extract small pieces of information that goes though them everyday? But then there's this ideal-life style thing that some people want to pursue, and if I'm not mistaken, that's what the concept of Cafe Photo magazine seems to be. It sort of encourages amateurs to "go take a walk with your everyday-use camera, and snap a few photos and live happily", etc. For amateur photography I think every generation has that, but I think it's more segmented with more choices of material goods.

There is a man named, "Akasegawa" who is quite famous (so famous that his name gets mentioned everywhere) for being a professional photo hobbyist and a classic camera collector. He mainly writes articles for some amateur photo magazines and gets gigs to shoot professionally sometimes, but not too exclusively. He seems to lives in a kind of "easy-going" life style, and that's his selling point. He is an old man, from the first baby-boomer generation or so, and his audience is probably from the same generation, too.

The term, "datsuryoku" means "easy-going", "relaxed", as opposed to being stiff and too serious about doing something, and it is often used as a fashion and a life style in the commercial media. It is at least for the imposed style of Fujita's work as it's mentioned so.
    Last edited by firecracker; 04-13-2007 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    Where did you see the "exhaustion system"?
    It's mentioned in both reviews mentioned above, including the Amazon listing. Maybe its a wild googlism....

脱力 ?? 脱力写真家 ?

"What Would Zeus Do?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    "exhaustion system" looks like "datsuryoku-kei (脱力系)"

"datsuryoku(脱力)" basically means "exhaused", "lassitude" or "lethargic", but as firecracker has mentioned "easy-going" and "relaxed" fit better.
    "system" -> "kei(系)" is used to mean "categolized as some(style)".

I think firecracker has explained very well.

It's like "散歩写真(sanpo-syasin)" - strolling photography, instead of keen street photography. It's not that much arty like Hiromix or Araki. It's just relaxing.
    Fujita, Akasegawa, Kuzumi and many other photographers have been proposing that kind of styles.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah, "datsuryoku" style, which is like going to spa or something for relaxation is not only imposed on photography, but for a lot of other things, mostly consumerable things like clothing brands, music, food, beverages, etc.

For some reason, in this country, the idea of "relaxation" is always emphasized, and it sells!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin