Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,047   Online: 961

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Assuming you are offered to buy for a reasonable affordable price a picture or a painting both portraits by famous artists, which one would you choose and why. It seams to me that people don't have same reservations when comes to painted portaits but may be I'm wrong.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BTW, I should point out that while the aforementioned Fraenkel Gallery sells some very large and expensive prints (the previous show was Sugimoto prints going for $80K a pop), they also make a bit of coin by selling many books arranged with thei shows. The other galleries here (notably Koch, upstairs from Fraenkel) do the same. Even small galleries can get in on the action.

In this respect, I have purchased portraits I've seen at exhibitions, and done it right there in the gallery. The $80 Katy Grannan book pales compared to the $9000 prints, but I like it enough to part with the $80. A small Lulu or iPhoto book can recoup your basic costs (and even Stephen Shore uses iPhoto).

Katy Grannan: Brian, b. 1976

Selling big prints: nice. Selling books after people see the prints (and tell their friends): better than not selling any prints!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nicole,

You know I never really thought about much, but there are definitely portraits that "move me". For instance one that I absolutly fell in love with is Frank Petronio's "Tiana at Scott Hamilton’s studio".
    You can see it here:http://frankpetronio.com/archive/pre...cent_work.html I don't know what it is about this photograph I am drawn to, but it's very powerful to me.
    Maybe it's her smile or the selective focus.
    Anyway, to (finally) answer your question, yes there are some portraits of strangers that I would buy. If, of course, I had any money. :>)
    Actually, since seeing this Photo a while ago now, I've thought about asking Frank how much an 8x10 would be, but I'm sure it's too rich for me.

Muggs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi nicole

i love going to portrait exhibitions, there is something about seeing
    other people that i connect with, more than say a landscape or a still life.

i have bought portraits of people i didn't know, and have been given some as
    well, but i have never bought portraits from an exhibition i have gone to.
    (does that make sense?) ...

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Would you visit an all portrait exibition?

If you are intrigued by portraiture.... would you buy a portrait of a stranger for your personal collection / walls?
    Nicole,

I would (and have) visited portrait exhibits. A few years ago I went to see a Karsh exhibit in Edmonton (Canada) because I had to see those large prints for myself. The name of course was the draw as it provided a pretty good clue about the content of the show.

Other exhibits featuring portraits by unknown (to me) photographers were not planned based on specific subject matter. I went to see what they were showing. I would neither avoid nor go to a show based on the fact that it featured portraits.

I don't buy too many photographs but have bought one portrait. I bought Lange's Migrant Mother (interpreted and printed by Mike Johnston Mike's Blog) because I wanted to see what a fine print (compared to poor reproductions) looked like. Although Dorothea Lange is definitely a name, I bought it because the photo itself attracted me because of its emotional appeal. I am not sure I would buy a portrait of a stranger unless it had some kind of similar universal appeal.

good topic!

Martin
    Last edited by MartinB; 05-10-2007 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: insert URL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin