Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,026   Online: 887

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Portrait Exhibition

I have a question for those of you, that appreciate exhibitions and shows. This is merely to promote discussion and food for thought.

A Portrait Exhibition:

Would you visit an all portrait exibition?

Humans are drawn to humans in one way or another. Whether it's a nude, an interesting face, childlike, freaky, plain attractive... Searching for and recognising familiarity within ourselves, that goes deeper than just seeing what's on the surface of the paper.

If you are intrigued by portraiture.... would you buy a portrait of a stranger for your personal collection / walls?

Does the name of the photographer necessarily have to be a bit interest factor?

I personally love visiting shows. It's a shame we don't get that many in our city.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Nicole,

Visit: almost certainly.

Buy: probably not. But then, that'd because my wife and I fill our walls with the pictures we take ourselves.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nicole,

I've had this conversation with a good friend who shots wonderful portraits. He had shows of his portraits but always had trouble selling them. People might enjoy seeing portraits of regular people but unless you are a big name they don't tend to buy portraits of regular people.

Portraits of famous people are the exception to the rule. People will buy images of famous people from non famous photographers.

YMMV but that's what we found.

George
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi all, This is one Lady whose work I would dearly like to see in an exhibition and I found this only seconds before reading this thread.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/JaneB...wn_gallery.swf

Regards, John.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nicole,

I've wrestled with this issue myself, as some of my strongest work has been portraiture. I've exhibited it a number of times and it's always drawn a lot of commentary, but no one has ever purchased it. I exhibit it only as a means of generating portraiture commissions, frankly.

I'd definitely visit a portraiture exhibition, and I might buy a portrait that sems to say something about the human condition in general, or which is part of a street scene or otherwise fits a larger story the image tells. But I think "intimate" portraiture may be too personal to reach a larger audience.

Just my take on it. I hope to be proved wrong at my next exhibition!
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Nicole,

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    Would you visit an all portrait exibition?
    Sure.

... would you buy a portrait of a stranger for your personal collection / walls?
    Not really. Even the environmental portaits of Mona Kuhn for example - well done, but would I really buy one? Nope. I understand the attraction - don't understand the purchasing power. Even if the subject were famous.

Does the name of the photographer necessarily have to be a bit interest factor?
    Sure. If it were Yusuf Karsh or George Hurrell, I would go without hesitation.

As an aside: I have Roger's "Hollywood Portraits" book. Great resource!

Regards, Art.
    Last edited by gr82bart; 04-23-2007 at 10:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a photo exhibition on in Paddington (Sydney) at the moment called 'Head On'. It is all portraiture, selected by competition. It's packing them in.

As for purchasing, I've been told that people don't buy photos of people they don't know. Unless it's a photo of a celebrity. Or taken by a famous photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HI NIc,

I would visit an exhibit of portraiture, but not travel too much for it.

I would not a buy a portrait of a stranger no matter how good/strange/intriguing.

The name would be a factor in getting me to travel farther.

I would agree it is a good way to solicit portrait work, but sales would likely be non-existent. If you invited many of the clients you've shot, and display images of them they never purchased/saw or perhaps printed them differently they may be enticed.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would buy a "portrait" of someone I didn't know, but I'd also buy a nude of someone I don't know. I think it depends on how tightly we define "portrait". If you mean in the clinical, academic sense of portrait as personal, commissioned work to factually depict the subject in a manner pleasing to the subject, then no, I probably wouldn't buy something like that. However, some of the quirkier, more revealing photos that give you an insight into the person, why not? If the image makes me think, and gives me some kind of connection to the subject, then I'd be very interested, and if well executed, there's a decent chance I'd plonk down cash for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd go, and if I liked a piece enough, I'd buy it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin