Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,482   Online: 865

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ordered one. Great work!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Not mentioned yet, but one more reason to thank Jeremy by purchasing this is that we can see this version. When my Taschen copy arrived I was so disappointed to see how small it was, 5 ½ x 7 ¾ inches. Jeremy’s work has grown to 8 ½ x 11. Thank you sent to Lulu by Paypal.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Received today the Lulu book, and its very well done. Interesting to see the arguments that were then current - such as whether photography should include manipulated images with Steichen saying all images are manipulated - unless we can create a machine that does it all. Shall be interesting reading.
    Thanks, Jeremy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got it today, can't wait to buy the next installment!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speaking of the next installment, does anyone have any suggestions for improving volume 2 (issues 5-8)?

Jason suggested a title page separating each issue which I will implement.

Any other ideas?
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A title page would be nice. A full table of contents or index for the complete run would be quite helpful too. So when is Vol. 2 ready?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by athanasius80 View Post
    A title page would be nice.
    done and done

A full table of contents or index for the complete run would be quite helpful too.
    hadn't thought about that and i'm wondering if the usefulness of it is worthwhile in the face of indexing 50 issues. also, the sheets in my book aren't paginated so i'm thinking of adding running page numbers for each volume (so there would be 2 page numbers on each page), but the more i think about it the less i like the idea

So when is Vol. 2 ready?
    the 2nd volume is nearing completion, but i am considering releasing them once a month/every 6 weeks/every 2 months. this is not the only digitization project i'm working on (2 others are in the works). Thoughts?

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I love the idea. I love the text. Is there anything you or Lulu could do to improve the quality of the photos? I can probably go find those pictures in other books, but if possible an improvement would be nice. Thank you for doing this.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp80874 View Post
    I love the idea. I love the text. Is there anything you or Lulu could do to improve the quality of the photos? I can probably go find those pictures in other books, but if possible an improvement would be nice. Thank you for doing this.

John Powers
    John,

The short answer is no. I tried out a couple of different settings buying a couple of copies and while the text has been spot-on every time the quality of the images is too variable. There is the option to raise the image quality, but it requires printing with color inks (so you'd have color problems) and EVERY page has to be printed with the color machines and this increases the book price to a level I find unacceptable. Finally, even with me raising the book price and printing in color I still wouldn't get the quality in the offset printing books I referenced in the original post (and you can get the Taschen for under $16) so I find it a wash and am concentrating on the text.

blog
    website

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Jeremy,

Thanks for trying. I have the Taschen and several books of photographers of the time. I really like what you have done. Let us know when the next one is ready.

John

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin