Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,514   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Didn't come today. Still waiting:o
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Curt, sorry that I did not post a link to the Eloquent Nude DVD. I posted it on the LF forum last week; it was available at the screening in the SFMOMA bookshop.

To your question of the actors and the portayal of Edward and Charis, I can say that the film is an honest representation of events. It is primarily a blend of stills, narration, and and a bit of acting to give it life. The actors are not professionals, the chap who plays Edward is a photographer who bears a strong resemblance to him, and the young woman likewise to Charis.

Charis was present at the screening and gave the film high marks; she should be the best judge of its worth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Merg, the previews were enough for me so I will be getting the film when it comes out. I would have gone to see it if I could have, I bet that was a blast.
    Best,

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I finished "California and the West" a few minutes ago. It was not good bedtime reading though. Instead of leading to sleep, it led to thought and more thought.

Here are 70 year old photos and words that really do stand up to time. I've noticed that repeatedly with Weston's work. It has a quality that lasts. It both captures a moment and has the ability to transcend time. I like that. So much of photography that I see today, just seems like the "flavor of the month." How many "fifteen minutes of fame" does it take to equal seventy years? Twenty-four million, five hundred and forty-six thousand, six hundred and twenty-four.

So I talk about Weston, and watch the boredom of some of my younger photographer friends. They have been convinced that Modernism (and certainly technical mastery in general) is dead. It's been replaced with Mordencage and uneven wetplate. I admit that I fail to understand the point of view.

Edward Weston died six years before I was born. "California and the West" was published twenty-four years before I was born. As far as I'm concerned, it is as original and valuable now as it was then. Good art lasts, and its value exceeds the "flavor of the month."

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What's more interesting is to read about the photographers in his time frame. Exploring the period of the '30's for example is very interesting. You have many people developing their "styles" and exploring the world they lived in. Strand, Evans, Weston, Adams, Stieglitz, and the list is long. There are many many women also that don't make the "A" list.

Steichen, Stieglitz, and Strand is often given as the 20th Century's greatest photographers. It's the "A" tier of photographers. Edward Weston, Ansel Adams, Minor White and others are on the 2nd tier.

My favorites are Edward Weston, Paul Strand, HCB, Brett Weston, W.E. Smith, in no particular order.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    What's more interesting is to read about the photographers in his time frame. Exploring the period of the '30's for example is very interesting. You have many people developing their "styles" and exploring the world they lived in. Strand, Evans, Weston, Adams, Stieglitz, and the list is long. There are many many women also that don't make the "A" list.

My favorites are Edward Weston, Paul Strand, HCB, Brett Weston, W.E. Smith, in no particular order.
    I agree it is very interesting stuff. I mentioned that I saw a 1978 f64 exhibit catalogue. It provided me with an opportunity to see the work of Sonya Noskowiak. I had previously seen something from the rest of the group. I was happy to see her work after reading about her over and over in the Daybooks.

Mike
    Last edited by jmdavis; 06-07-2007 at 09:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    [QUOTE=Curt;477625]. . . There are many many women also that don't make the "A" list. . . .
    QUOTE]

And several who should. Imogen Cunningham and Margaret Bourke-White should intrigtue anyone because of their character, and interest photograpers even more. Perhaps Tina Modotti and Margrethe Mather could make at least the "C" and perhaps the "B" list for the same reasons. The late Ruth Bernhard may be remembered best for her unsurpassed nudes, but that was only a tiny bit of her output. Don't forget Dorthea Lange. Finally, remember that gifted amateur with primative facilities who made such powerful portraits, Julia Margaret Cameron.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin