Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,117   Online: 1114

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

A very Weston Day

Today is definitely a very Weston Day.

I'm finishing reading "California and the West," the new Brett Weston "New York Portfolio" arrived, I found and bought first edition copies of Cole Weston's "Eighteen Photographs," the "EW:100" essays, and Edward Weston's "Seventy Photographs."

I did pass on an f64 1978 show catalog. The photos were very good but $75 was too much for me.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike, how do you like the New York Portfolio? I noticed that my account had the amount taken out so I will be getting it pretty soon. Is the "Seventy Photographs" book of value? I have been buying books lately and it's getting to be more expensive than photography so the book business must be surviving. I got a copy of Walker Evans and some Strand and Weston, both, Modotti etc. Iv'e got to break out and do some of my own. But what you can learn from these books is priceless isn't it?
    Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    On the week-end I had time to kill waiting for people, so I cracked open the book of AA letters (to and from Edward Weston and the whole gang.) A good read.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Mike, how do you like the New York Portfolio? I noticed that my account had the amount taken out so I will be getting it pretty soon. Is the "Seventy Photographs" book of value? I have been buying books lately and it's getting to be more expensive than photography so the book business must be surviving. I got a copy of Walker Evans and some Strand and Weston, both, Modotti etc. Iv'e got to break out and do some of my own. But what you can learn from these books is priceless isn't it?
    Curt
    I'm just opening it right now. I wanted to see the Cole Weston because I had never seen his book before. Then I got distracted by the Charis Wilson essay in "EW:100."

Generally I get anything sent by Michael and Paula the next day even when it's UPS ground. So, depending on how far west you are, you should get it soon.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thirty minutes or so just isn't enough to really "see" New York. I will have to spend more time with it and give my impressions tomorrow.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    To complete your Weston Day you might consider getting the DVD," Eloquent Nude, The Love and Legacy of Edward Weston and Charis Wilson". I saw the San Francisco premiere of the film last week and give it high marks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.nwdocumentary.org/weston/preview.html

Is the film being shown available on DVD, usually the DVD comes later after a picture has been out and shown? Are the actors any good, do you think they look and have the feel of the original people? I watched the previews and they seem good. It not a mix of fact and fiction is it?

I will be looking for a delivery of the book soon. I live out west north of Seattle.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    http://www.nwdocumentary.org/weston/preview.html

Is the film being shown available on DVD, usually the DVD comes later after a picture has been out and shown? Are the actors any good, do you think they look and have the feel of the original people? I watched the previews and they seem good. It not a mix of fact and fiction is it?

I will be looking for a delivery of the book soon. I live out west north of Seattle.

Curt

The DVD is already out. Here is the link where you can purchase it:
    http://www.filmbaby.com/films/1740

Walker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.filmbaby.com/films/1740

I just found this, it answers one of the questions I was asking. That makes sense now. Thanks, Curt

It's a preorder for the August release.
    Last edited by Curt; 06-06-2007 at 12:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added info

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    To complete your Weston Day you might consider getting the DVD," Eloquent Nude, The Love and Legacy of Edward Weston and Charis Wilson". I saw the San Francisco premiere of the film last week and give it high marks.
    Agreed! I have been very interested in this since I heard about it. After your report last week I went to the website to see the previews. I also sent my friends in SF to the Victoria to see it.

As an aside, I'm in the final stages of "California and the West." I had put off reading this because of the description of the text by a number of reviewers as a travelogue. In my opinion, the narrative is anything but a "travelogue." It is good stuff. The description of coming across the body at Cardizo is as good as the actual photographs. The details of the imitation $100 bills, the milk coupons and the Mickey Mouse spoon add depth, as does the conversation with the Sheriff afterward. I am very glad that I am finally reading this book.

Mike Davis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin