Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,655   Online: 900

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If Roger's website was so good you'd think someone other than the owner would give it a plug.

I would, however, suggest Roger's "Black and White Handbook" as possibly somewhere to start. Ideally if you can get hold of any of Ansel Adams' books I would recommend you get hold of "The Negative" followed by "The Print".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon E View Post
    If Roger's website was so good you'd think someone other than the owner would give it a plug.
    Well, Simon, people do -- take a look at the thread on metering -- but you'll understand I have a particular interest.

Also, the paid-for Photo School part has been around for less than two years so it has some catching up to do as compared with longer-established media such as the book you so kindly mention.

In any case, as a great deal of it is FREE -- I'll repeat that word, FREE -- I really don't think I can be accused of trying the hard sell. Anyone can look at it; decide whether they like the free stuff or not; and then, if they like, subscribe. All save its greatest detractors (mostly hard-core Zonies) agree that there's a lot of useful information in there.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    In any case, as a great deal of it is FREE -- I'll repeat that word, FREE -- I really don't think I can be accused of trying the hard sell. Anyone can look at it; decide whether they like the free stuff or not; and then, if they like, subscribe. All save its greatest detractors (mostly hard-core Zonies) agree that there's a lot of useful information in there.
    If it has to do with photography and it doesn't cost me money ... how can it be good? :rolleyes:
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well... speaking of free... here's a link to the free downloadable latest edition of the clearest and most easiest to understand B&W Photography book I've ever seen:

http://www.bw-photography.net/

Henry Horenstein. Great stuff. Another I found particularly useful is Les McLean's Creative Black and White Photography.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Horenstein books. Both of those and a copy of Light: Science and Magic and you can't go wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you all for the recommendations. I'm going to write them down and research them before buying.
    Roger, I came across your site last year sometime and enjoyed the free modules. I read the ones concerned with black and white again today and thought the one on darkrooms was very informative. I recommend your site.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Masuro View Post
    I am looking for a book that goes through the basics and then more detail of black and white photography. Especially, What sort of subjects are good for black and white, what kind of light is best, when to use coloured filters, and so on. A book that includes developing and darkroom advice would be nice but is not necessary.
    Trying to find books that will tell you what to photograph is ridiculous, and leads to creative dead ends.

Here are my 2cents.

You need something to show you how to load film on the reel, what chemicals to use and in what order to use them and something to show you how the enlarger works. There are countless books to show you that.

With that information in hand, you then get as much film as your pockets will allow, and you go photograph.

You might try looking at photo books (monographs) to see what you respond to, and photographing those subject. Just experiment; it will keep it exciting, and it will keep it fun.

Good luck and have fun.

Best,
    Richard
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl View Post
    Well... speaking of free... here's a link to the free downloadable latest edition of the clearest and most easiest to understand B&W Photography book I've ever seen:

http://www.bw-photography.net/

Henry Horenstein. Great stuff. Another I found particularly useful is Les McLean's Creative Black and White Photography.

Hello....Masuro!!!! Did you somehow miss this??? FREE book?? Download the chapters???
    Sheesh... I know guys can't hear women...I didn't know they can't read them either.
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd also recommemd Roger and Frances' site and their B&W Handbook.

My bible has mainly been The Negative and The Print by Ansel Adams, and the parts that are out of date or controversial are easily supplemented online. The John Schaefer books are basically updates to the original Ansel Adams ones, and very readable.
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin