Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,985   Posts: 1,523,949   Online: 890

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl View Post
    Hello....Masuro!!!! Did you somehow miss this??? FREE book?? Download the chapters???
    Sheesh... I know guys can't hear women...I didn't know they can't read them either.
    BWGirl,

What you've posted is a link to .pdf files that comprise "teasers" from the actual book. They are excerpts from the book with the intention of selling the full text.

Nice marketing technique, but these are not the entire book itself!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Book on B&W photography

I recmmend Bruce Barnbaums "The Art of Photography"
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should clarify what I meant in my original post. By 'subject' I mean what sort of things will look best in colour and what sort of things will look best in black and white. Some things that look good in colour might not make a good black and white photograph and vice versa. These days I am shooting traditional Korean houses so I have a 'theme', as it were. Also, I am not a beginner and I already develop my own film and print at home (though I have just started printing so I am a beginner in that department). What I am looking for is a book that will be useful as a reference and to fill in the cracks of my knowledge of black and white photography. And, as I said in my original post, I want to learn more about filter use.
    BWgirl, sorry for passing you over in my original reply. I checked the site you mentioned and it is not a free book, as someone else mentioned. And men definitely hear women; my wife never lets herself go unanswered.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Masuro View Post
    I should clarify what I meant in my original post. By 'subject' I mean what sort of things will look best in colour and what sort of things will look best in black and white. Some things that look good in colour might not make a good black and white photograph and vice versa.
    Dear Masuro,

Consider buying a 'PV' (Pan Vision) filter, typically dark olive-green, which reduces all colours to tones quite convincingly and mimics the sensitivity of panchromatic B+W film (hence the name). SRB makes one: www.srbfilm.co.uk. You can carry it in your pocket and just look at different subjects. There's a picture of one in the free module on B+W in the Photo School at www.rogerandfrances.com. Alternatively, any strong filter will do but it will distort tonal relationships more -- I've even used orange-coloured cellophane sweet wrappers.

As Geoffrey Crawley said recently, you can often make a picture in B+W where none exists in colour, so I know what you mean.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    BWGirl,

What you've posted is a link to .pdf files that comprise "teasers" from the actual book. They are excerpts from the book with the intention of selling the full text.

Nice marketing technique, but these are not the entire book itself!
    Interesting! I have the actual (and entire) chapters that those links used to point to. He must have changed it to just show excerpts. Oi! :o hahahaha Thanks for the heads up!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    www.ralphgibson.com

Here you go.
    I can not vouch for the book, as I have not read it, but his photography is wonderful.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl View Post
    Interesting! I have the actual (and entire) chapters that those links used to point to. He must have changed it to just show excerpts. Oi! :o hahahaha Thanks for the heads up!
    Yeah, probably someone "clued him in" that he was giving away his book!

No big deal.

And, BTW, my wife is convinced we guys have a selective hearing filter that cuts off higher pitches except when sung by sultry French chanteueses!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin