Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,368   Online: 987

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Please Recommend a Book for Learning B&W Photography

I am looking for a book that goes through the basics and then more detail of black and white photography. Especially, What sort of subjects are good for black and white, what kind of light is best, when to use coloured filters, and so on. A book that includes developing and darkroom advice would be nice but is not necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eddie Ephraum's Creative Elements: Landscape Photography-Darkroom Techniques or Ansel Adams' The Camera. Ephraum's book deals mainly with 35mm bw photography, and it includes camera work as well as darkroom work. A good follow-up on these is Ralph Lambrecht's and Chris Woodhouses Way Beyond Monochrome.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    At the risk of immodesty, there's a hell of a lot of free information in The Photo School at www.rogerandfrances.com. Of course I hope you'll be so impressed that you subscribe as well, but even if you don't, the free stuff will answer a lot of your questions. Click on 'our books' and you'll see some ideas there too.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You may want to browse through the thousands of titles on:

http://www.abebooks.com/

This is sort of like eBay for books except you don't bid. You can pick up just about anything - many for just $1. Good place to start if you want to build a library.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    These are very commonly used for Photo 1 and Photo 2 classes in college. As such you can pick them up very cheaply on eBay or Abe books now at the end of a term.

Black and White Photography, a basic manual, Henry Horenstein, Little Brown
    BEYOND BASIC PHOTOGRAPHY- HORENSTEIN, Henry, Little Brown

Good luck,
    John Powers

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree with all of the above , but I think APUG.com is becoming the most comprehensive source of photographic knowlege you can find.
    Any topic, any question no matter how simple you may think it is , will be answered here by some of the best and creative photographic people world wide.
    Just post the questions and the answers will come.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's always The Camera, by Ansel Adams. Not so simple in some places, but a very informative read. It covers what he considered to be the basics.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Recommended Basic B&W Photo Book

After reading several hundred books during my more than 30 years as a photographer I'd like to recommend the following book as a good basic guide for learning Black and White Photography:

Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, Vol. 1 by John P. Shaefer

Vol. 2 is great for more advanced photographers. I used my copy several times for reference. Both are good value for money.
    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, A very good book for b/w is John Blakemore’s Black and White Photography Workshop. John Blakemore is Emeritus Professor of Photography, University of Derby, a wonderful photographer and a great teacher. The book is available on Amazon UK and probably worldwide.
    Hope you enjoy your b/w photography. Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'll add in another vote for the Horenstein and Shaefer books. I'm particularly enthusiastic about the Shaefer book - it was what I used to teach myself the basics. The Horenstein books were used as texts in the classes I took when I later decided to get some formal training. You won't go wrong with any of these.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin