Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 819

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Chronologies and big book books

I looked through Richard Misrach's new book from the Fraenkel Gallery the other day. It is massive, with exquisite reproductions, and is relatively inexpensive for it's size. The only drawback I see is the complete lack of an essay. I had to search even for the colophon.

It seems like photobooks, like the actual prints, are getting bigger and bigger. Meyrowitz's new book is huge. So is Polidori's. And while it is thin, Jem Southams Painter's Pool is too big for my shelf. It is like the publishers think there is endless amount of shelf space.

But, at the same time I'd like to think that Helmut saw it coming and said "HA! take THIS!" when he came out with Sumo.
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At least Sumo came with its own stand. Although, it really needs its own ROOM to display it properly - that book and stand would overwhelm my library, which has virtually nothing in it other than shelves, a chair and a reading table.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin