Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,201   Posts: 1,531,529   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Because that's the rate here. 40% income tax and 1% extra national insurance.
    That's on income over £34,000 though before people's heads start spinning, below that it's taxed at basic rate (22%) but anything on top of that would be taxed at the higher rate. It's certainly been a disincentive for my boss to do overtime.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dsullivan View Post
    That's on income over £34,000 though before people's heads start spinning, below that it's taxed at basic rate (22%) but anything on top of that would be taxed at the higher rate. It's certainly been a disincentive for my boss to do overtime.
    Please explain the concept of "overtime".

By the way to the 22% you quote must be added 11% N.I. since it's also a compulsory tax.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All this talk of taxation has made me feel quite ill. I shall go and bathe my face in fresh Rodinal to recover my composure.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't burn the bridge but do require 10 pounds more the next time around. If they complain, tell them how their saving so much money on the 5 page spread and your cost of living is going up. If they don't take you up on it, oh well. In the world of business things can change to your benefit later, especially if they hear to many complaints.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds like the free market at work, so I'm not sure "ripoff" is the right term. The editors have bet that they can pay this paltry--by your standards--amount to content providers, and still attract a quality of content sufficient to keep advertisers and subscribers happy and the magazine financially viable. The marketplace will pass judgment on this decision soon enough; if enough readers and advertisers agree with you, goodbye magazine.

I expect that they'll be able to get all the portfolios they want at just about any price they're willing to pay. Those submitting portfolios obviously perceive some value to the exercise beyond the strictly monetary. Again, the free market at work.

What's the trouble?
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I came to the conclusion sometime ago that there is insufficient financial reward in writing magazine articles; especially since I then find such income taxed at 41%.
    By a bizarre coincidence, I find any income from photography is far exceeded by my level of expenditure on ABSOLUTELY VITAL AND ESSENTIAL pieces of equipment, thus pushing this side of my business into a tax loss. Am I doing something wrong? (Tax inspectors: Please do not bother to reply ).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh blansky...

The case of the Amazing Shrinking Fee
    What a golden opportunity missed

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    Oh blansky...

What a golden opportunity missed

Murray
    Michael is off doing other things these days .... I heard from him a couple of weeks ago. I sure miss the guy.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    Michael is off doing other things these days .... I heard from him a couple of weeks ago. I sure miss the guy.
    I miss his razor humour too. I contacted him a few months ago to make sure he was OK, and was happy to hear he was just too busy to drop in here and it wasn't health related.

Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I miss his razor humour too. I contacted him a few months ago to make sure he was OK, and was happy to hear he was just too busy to drop in here and it wasn't health related.

Murray
    I met him in Toronto, he really is a very nice guy - much different than he came across on APUG sometimes.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin