Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,723   Online: 742

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague View Post
    ...he really is a very nice guy - much different than he came across on APUG sometimes.
    That can be probably be said for most of us!!!!!!!!!!

Murray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Because that's the rate here. 40% income tax and 1% extra national insurance.
    Dear Dave,

I assume that by 'here' you mean the UK.

First, you offset the expenses of writing (and shooting, and travel) against the article, so you're being paid (not much, it's true) to do the things that most people do as a hobby.

Second, the tax rate doesn't start at 40%. There's a personal allowance (zero band) followed by at least two lower tax rates, if I recall aright. Many journalists never reach the 40% band (I should know...)

So unless you have other income, or are doing very well indeed from your journalism, you don't pay 41%. When I left the UK I was paying between a thousand and two thousand a year in tax, which was not 41% of even my income.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    regarding AP reckonging they can still attract the right quality of contribution.....I think the standard has been falling for an awfully long time and only once in a blue moon do I buy it now. I also enjoyed Rogers Articles and once in a while as I pass thru UK airoports I have a look. Think the last one I bought was about a year ago....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    regarding AP reckonging they can still attract the right quality of contribution.....I think the standard has been falling for an awfully long time and only once in a blue moon do I buy it now. I also enjoyed Rogers Articles and once in a while as I pass thru UK airoports I have a look. Think the last one I bought was about a year ago....
    I think that is a large part of the problem. It is now in a vicious circle rather than a virtuous one. Falling sales = cost cutting = poorer standard = falling sales etc.

I cannot re-call AP trying to ask readers what they liked. So they are making changes "blind" or by the new editor's instinct which I suspect may not turn out to be sound.

It must be difficult filling a mag every week and in fact they don't when you look at the amount of space taken up by more or less the same adverts, some of which you need a magnifying glass to read. I do wonder why they don't consider a slightly "meatier" fortnightly magazine instead.

Readers then have something to look forward to and it is difficult to believe that if you are looking for gear then it is more frequently than once a fortnight or that if you had previously spotted a good source that you wouldn't then use the internet if the magazine wasn't published that week.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that what I used to like about it was that although it was thinner, it had a 'maturity' about it compared to certain other mags, which hammered away at the same over filtered cliche stuff over and over again.

It is not a case of forgetting ones own progression and growing out of a particular mag, as I have old copied (about 60-70) and they are fantastic, so I have kept them.

Would be nice if AP could bring back some of the old magic....but it contains quite a bit of digital these days which may be essential to keep it going I suppose but cuts in half the amount of material I am interested in.

The ads can be handy though as ebay does not cover everything!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Dave,

I assume that by 'here' you mean the UK.

First, you offset the expenses of writing (and shooting, and travel) against the article, so you're being paid (not much, it's true) to do the things that most people do as a hobby.

Second, the tax rate doesn't start at 40%. There's a personal allowance (zero band) followed by at least two lower tax rates, if I recall aright. Many journalists never reach the 40% band (I should know...)

So unless you have other income, or are doing very well indeed from your journalism, you don't pay 41%. When I left the UK I was paying between a thousand and two thousand a year in tax, which was not 41% of even my income.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Roger
    You havn't missed a thing Roger, I was writing from a personal point of view. If you write for enjoyment nothing is lost, however the constant devaluation of one's efforts should not be ignored.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    You havn't missed a thing Roger, I was writing from a personal point of view. If you write for enjoyment nothing is lost, however the constant devaluation of one's efforts should not be ignored.
    Dear Dave,

I totally agree with that -- but of course one of the things that forces down the 'day rate' is the number of people who are willing to work for little or nothing, and can afford to do so because they have a secure salaried job. Or, in the case of another journalist I know, three substantial pensions...

Cheers,

Roger

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin