Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,565   Online: 783

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

The case of the Amazing Shrinking Fee

For some time, I have found the UK magazine "Amateur Photographer" to be more entertaining than most and have from time to time written articles and submitted portofolios. These have been published at a rate of £50 an A4 page, which while not earth-shattering was acceptable to me and a way of getting a published by-line, as opposed to my "day job" where, for various reasons, my writing work goes out (every day) under other people's names.

Recently I noted that AP had changed to paying £50 a PORTFOLIO (no matter how large), which I regarded as a definite turn for the worse. I now open this week's issue and find a feature entitled "gallery - five pages of genuine reader pictures". This features 11 pictures by six photographers - one picture is the "Editor's Choice" and the photographer concerned receives a payment of £50, the others get a tea mug with the logo "Amateur Photographer Love My Pictures". AP is obviously proud of this section, since it is the first major picture feature in the book and starts on page 11, and is no doubt extremely pleased at its cleverness in reducing the cost of 5 pages of readers' pictures from £250 a year or so ago to £52.50 (assuming 50 pence per tea mug) now.

I regard this as a spectacularly brazen rip-off and will never send the mag anything ever again. Any views, any similar experiences with other publications?

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree. This occurred at the same time as Roger's weekly article on the back page was reduced to once every four weeks.

I used to buy AP regularly every Tuesday morning on my way to work. Now I only buy it occasionally.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    another UK based mag was even worse, no payment for images used plus I had to pay cover price for additional copies direct from them, not even wholesale price let alone free, nice mag with good reproduction hence not mentioning title just in case I ever want to have anything else in there

I like the Lenswork model, you get paid along with a one year subscription

enjoy and be well

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I didn't notice that, but I did notice Roger's article not there every week. Well, that's what happens when you get a new person in the editorial seat. Changes will inevitably be made.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    I didn't notice that, but I did notice Roger's article not there every week. Well, that's what happens when you get a new person in the editorial seat. Changes will inevitably be made.
    An 80% cut in contributors' fees as "inevitable change"? I'm getting out of here!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must admit I'm not so keen on the "new" AP.
    It's a pity Roger's been reduced, and also that Ivor Matanle's section has been somewhat decimated.
    I was rather looking forward to his article a couple of weeks ago on the Bronica SQ series - and when I got it, it was barely half the length of his previous articles.
    I always used to enjoy reading the "Maloney Live" features too. I think they were the last regular film-only articles in the magazine.

I'm rather disgusted at the new contributor's fee model you point out.
    And "AP love my pictures"?????? then surely they should pay for them!?

Not to mention that they have put the price up significantly in the last couple of years. They must be raking it in!
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    An 80% cut in contributors' fees as "inevitable change"? I'm getting out of here!
    I might not re-subscribe this year.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I came to the conclusion sometime ago that there is insufficient financial reward in writing magazine articles; especially since I then find such income taxed at 41%.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    I came to the conclusion sometime ago that there is insufficient financial reward in writing magazine articles; especially since I then find such income taxed at 41%.
    Dear Dave,

I'd agree about the financial rewards being miserable, but how are you paying 41%?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Dear Dave,

I'd agree about the financial rewards being miserable, but how are you paying 41%?

Cheers,

Roger
    Because that's the rate here. 40% income tax and 1% extra national insurance.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin