Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,726   Online: 803

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I need to went too.
    Honestly i can't belive anyone on this forum would even consider reading that piece or C...
    I was given a subscription last year and had a chance to look at what i would consider one of the best magazines to deter anyone from thinking about photography.
    There is nothing in dept about anything in that magazine, it is about filling up as much space as possible (Apart from the advertizing) in as little time as possible. Paper would not make it to a public restroom, what is it that make serious photographers buy this magazine? Is it just old habbits?

jan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The real sadness, for me, comes when I open one of my file cabinets and re-read my saved copies of Camera and Darkroom. Those old issues are certainly not without their faults, but they continue to improve when compared with the abysmal quality of Photographic magazines of today in general. C&D, although dated (!) is/ was at least an order of magnitude ahead, then - and now, rapidly approaching the second.

Oh, if only someone could resurrect that Magazine - Call it "Darkroom and Camera", or "Vintage Photography" or whatever the hell would fly - only with the same format, direction, contributors, philosophies ....

Great suffering ZOT!! (with apologies to B.C. and Johnny Hart - where ever he may be ...) - I miss that magazine!
    Last edited by Ed Sukach; 07-14-2007 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Minor Refinement
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sadly, it used to be a great magazine. Years ago.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I read the article and it was a bad written article. The OP magazine is all about digital now. Even most of the "showcase" images are recorded on film like David mentioned. I guess they have to go with the "main stream" in order to survive.

I don't like to read it, but do I have a choice? Emusion comes out 4 issue a year, lenswork is a more enjoyable mag then the other but it going down the way that I don't think I will like it anymore.

Have you guys ever try to submit any articles to the OP magazine?

Alex W.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highpeak View Post
    I don't like to read it, but do I have a choice?
    That is why I read Outdoor Photography (UK). It isn't digital free, but there is none of the obvious animosity towards film that you see in Outdoor Photographer.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    When Camera and Darkroom was canceled they provided Outdoor Photog as a substitute. What a rip.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It seems to me that APUG could fill some of the void. There is so much knowledge here and alot of people who are interested in helping others learn photography. Who needs OP?

Awhile back, someone posted a video of himself using an iron to dry mount prints that I thought was really well done. Why not have all sorts of those video clips showing any number of things: split contrast printing, RH Designs timers, different paper developers such as Amidol, alternative processes, use of large format cameras, etc. Topics which generate the most questions on the forum. Seems to be a core group of people here ho could do such things well. I would be willing to pay for that as I assume many would.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrigan View Post
    When Camera and Darkroom was canceled they provided Outdoor Photog as a substitute. What a rip.
    They did the same thing when _Photovision_ went under. I said I wasn't interested and got a refund for the rest of my subscription.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You have to realize that many of these magazines are in a death spiral. They long ago "sold their soul" by turning their editorial pages over to the advertising department in a desperate effort to stanch the subscription drain. The ad guys said "sell digital" and that's what they all do.

I gave up on PopPhoto a while ago - and yet they kept sending me mags long after my subscription expired.

Just let them die - they don't deserve any tears.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    You have to realize that many of these magazines are in a death spiral. They long ago "sold their soul" by turning their editorial pages over to the advertising department in a desperate effort to stanch the subscription drain. The ad guys said "sell digital" and that's what they all do.

I gave up on PopPhoto a while ago - and yet they kept sending me mags long after my subscription expired.

Just let them die - they don't deserve any tears.
    I'm not sure that is true. Realistically, we are more likely to die than they are. I hope there are enough film based, or "silver based" photographers left to sustain a market that can adapt to these market changes.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin