Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,765   Posts: 1,516,381   Online: 1014

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like what Jerold said:split contrast printing, RH Designs timers, different paper developers such as Amidol, alternative processes, use of large format cameras, etc. Topics which generate the most questions on the forum. Seems to be a core group of people here ho could do such things well. I would be willing to pay for that as I assume many would.

I been thinking about this for a while and of course... I keep getting told that I should start my own magazine, specifically what some of my ideas are is to have a variety of issues dealing with all aspects of LF Photography and Alt. Processes... especially some if not all the things mentioned above by Jerold... I would to prefer to only do B/W issues but it doesnt mean I will never do a color issue.. that will need to be discussed by me and my group of writers and etc... Which I have not found any volunteers for this step... I want to have advertisers only dealing with traditional photography and i know this may piss a few people off but I like traditional rather then the digital side... so no digital advertisers... I want a monthly issues with great issues and the stuff readers want... of course with high quality print work from a reliable printer.... I want to have a place in the magazine where people cant advertise there darkroom rental places worldwide and etc... I am also in the talks with a few companies about becoming a disrtibutor of there products so it is available at all times of the year and not 2 times a year.... I hope to call it "Silver Gelatin" by the way I have the copyright for the name... Let me know what you all think and also OP sucks...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TStodPhoto View Post
    I like what Jerold said:split contrast printing, RH Designs timers, different paper developers such as Amidol, alternative processes, use of large format cameras, etc. Topics which generate the most questions on the forum. Seems to be a core group of people here ho could do such things well. I would be willing to pay for that as I assume many would.

I been thinking about this for a while and of course... I keep getting told that I should start my own magazine, specifically what some of my ideas are is to have a variety of issues dealing with all aspects of LF Photography and Alt. Processes... especially some if not all the things mentioned above by Jerold... I would to prefer to only do B/W issues but it doesnt mean I will never do a color issue.. that will need to be discussed by me and my group of writers and etc... Which I have not found any volunteers for this step... I want to have advertisers only dealing with traditional photography and i know this may piss a few people off but I like traditional rather then the digital side... so no digital advertisers... I want a monthly issues with great issues and the stuff readers want... of course with high quality print work from a reliable printer.... I want to have a place in the magazine where people cant advertise there darkroom rental places worldwide and etc... I am also in the talks with a few companies about becoming a disrtibutor of there products so it is available at all times of the year and not 2 times a year.... I hope to call it "Silver Gelatin" by the way I have the copyright for the name... Let me know what you all think and also OP sucks...
    Hmmm...have you ever heard of Emulsion ?

As Yogi Berra might say: Could this be "deja vu" all over again?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I have heard of Emulsion love what they do but its not the same ideas I have... Aggie puts out a great mag... and I want to to be as good as they are... There is plenty of space out there for another mag as far as I am concerned...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Sorry, I just need to vent a little bit. I just got the new OP today (Aug. 2007), and once again am disgusted by the complete lack of coverage for all outdoor photographers. Every article is digital this and digital that. I encourage everyone that gets the magazine to read the article on pg. 56 and post your thoughts. The article talks about how digital photography has supassed film (35mm anyway) mostly pertaining to publication. That may be true, but it's just the way the article is written, with things like "the media [film] is rapidly disappearing as a force in nature photography," and "there are a few diehards who love film who want to put down digital rather than simply accept their love for film." These lines are complete ignorance.

So then I see an article on black and white, only to find that it only talks about converting to B&W from a digital file. I've been getting OP for about 10 years and used to really really love it! But in the past 2 years or so, the complete lack to even recognize that film exists and run some articles on it really gets to me. I used to love when they would showcase Monte Neglar or John Sexton. This may be the last year for me. I'll stick to View Camera and Photo Techniques. Those are some good photography magazines!
    That was the reason why I cancelled my subscription.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would suggest to Brian (and all), write letters to the editor of Outdoor Photo. Be polite and articulate in explaining the significant advantages of film for outdoors (and many other) applications. Such as quality images that gives you huge enlargements. Such as no battery dependence if you're using a Rolleiflex or other mechanical camera. Explain why you think this article is inadequate. Publishers do pay at least some attention to readers, especially subscribers. To anyone who cancels their subscription, be sure and let them know WHY. I haven't really read the magazine in years or I would also. We should try and keep film usage alive in these type of publications.

Steve Perry
    Steve Perry

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think we all would be hard-pressed to find ANY single publication that still caters to 'film only'. I have looked fairly hard. One that I heard about from another APUG member was "EMULSION, although I have not see a copy.; and I think it follows large format; but other than that, I believe the other post is correct in that they are falling into the same trap of caving to the advertisers who tell them what to print and when to take their lunch breaks.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I certainly don't object to the occasional few pages on digi as another tool-UK B&W gets my vote as it regularly publishes stimulating portfolios by Bruce Barnbaum,Keith carter (awesome), Bruce Rae, our very own Cheryl jacobs etc (and even me twice) without going too heavy on the latest gizmos and Nikanoltas.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie vaara View Post
    that I heard about from another APUG member was "EMULSION, although I have not see a copy.; and I think it follows large format
    Emulsion is for all formats and all processes, if they are traditional. Go to http://www.emulsionmagazine.org/index.php for more details. There should be another issue shortly, but I haven't seen it yet.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sjperry View Post
    I would suggest to Brian (and all), write letters to the editor of Outdoor Photo. Be polite and articulate in explaining the significant advantages of film for outdoors (and many other) applications.
    It is really a waste of time. They have their heads in the sand over there. Remember the same people that put out OP, also put out Digital Photo Pro. Additionally, Rob Sheppard has written literaly dozens of books on digital photography. Writing him, other than to blow off steam is like hitting a brick wall with your head - he won't listen.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sjperry View Post
    I would suggest to Brian (and all), write letters to the editor of Outdoor Photo. Be polite and articulate in explaining the significant advantages of film for outdoors (and many other) applications. Such as quality images that gives you huge enlargements. Such as no battery dependence if you're using a Rolleiflex or other mechanical camera. Explain why you think this article is inadequate. Publishers do pay at least some attention to readers, especially subscribers. To anyone who cancels their subscription, be sure and let them know WHY. I haven't really read the magazine in years or I would also. We should try and keep film usage alive in these type of publications.

Steve Perry
    I agree with everything you said, Steve. It's a real level-headed approach and I appreciate and respect that. I cancelled my subscription with the US "OP", as I mentioned in my earlier message, and simply wanted to make a quick, clean break from them. They are so heavily invested toward the digital side of things,...I just didn't want to waste any more time with them.

In 2002, I did write to them, twice, about the passing of one of nature & wildlife photography's great photographers. This Dutch photographer, Fred Hazelhoff, was doing fantastic work from the 1960's into 21st century, and contributed much to nature & landscape photography as well as environmental issues, and inspired many to enter the world of photography in Europe, including (from what I understand) Frans Lanting, who does a column for "OP". They never responded to my messages, and they never noted Hazelhoff's passing in the magazine. So my skeptism toward "OP" began even back then in '02. I guess the story would not have had any relationship with any of their sponsors, since Fred was a Leica-R shooter. I don't know,....perhaps just a little respect from "OP" for some of the things that got us here, like film and people like Fred Hazelhoff, would be nice.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Akemann; 07-21-2007 at 01:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Removed repeated word.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin