Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,890   Online: 995

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

What's the deal with Outdoor Photographer magazine?

Sorry, I just need to vent a little bit. I just got the new OP today (Aug. 2007), and once again am disgusted by the complete lack of coverage for all outdoor photographers. Every article is digital this and digital that. I encourage everyone that gets the magazine to read the article on pg. 56 and post your thoughts. The article talks about how digital photography has supassed film (35mm anyway) mostly pertaining to publication. That may be true, but it's just the way the article is written, with things like "the media [film] is rapidly disappearing as a force in nature photography," and "there are a few diehards who love film who want to put down digital rather than simply accept their love for film." These lines are complete ignorance.

So then I see an article on black and white, only to find that it only talks about converting to B&W from a digital file. I've been getting OP for about 10 years and used to really really love it! But in the past 2 years or so, the complete lack to even recognize that film exists and run some articles on it really gets to me. I used to love when they would showcase Monte Neglar or John Sexton. This may be the last year for me. I'll stick to View Camera and Photo Techniques. Those are some good photography magazines!
    Last edited by brian steinberger; 07-13-2007 at 09:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I read that article...it's really weird. If you read it again, note all the places where they talk about how the digital comparisons come pretty close to 35mm film, yet in every instance it sure sounded to me like film came out ahead. Then, and only then, in the last paragraph do they come to the conclusion that digital has surpassed film. If nothing else, it was a poorly written article.

From the other side of things, magazines that have been around for a long time are probably liking that they have something new/different to write about to avoid becoming totally repetitive.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't subscribe to it anymore for the same reasons. I also discontinued my subscription to view camera after they posted a comparison between a canon 10D digital camera and a hasselblad in the may/june 04 issue. I've got better things to spend money on.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I dropped my subscription because of the lack of coverage of film based photography. Photo Techniques is limping in that direction also.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You want to know what's going on? It the same old, same old:

"Follow the money."

Who are the advertisers?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I haven't looked at it for a long time, but when I did, it was always curious that the featured portfolios were mostly film and the technical articles were mostly digital.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    I haven't looked at it for a long time, but when I did, it was always curious that the featured portfolios were mostly film and the technical articles were mostly digital.
    Exactly. OP does have excellent photography. The portfolio in the newest issue on pg. 43. is beautiful photography, and again, the largest photos in those pages are all with film.

I can understand the need to keep advertisers happy, but it's a shame to see what used to be a great magazine go to waste. I hope Photo Techniques doesn't do the same. I've noticed more articles related to digital lately, but they always have great articles by Bruce Barnbaum, and others on tradition work, as well as little one page articles on darkroom techniques, which is very interesting to me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Popular Photography is worse. What a load of drivel it's become. The only reason to read it is Herb Kepeler (sp?) who I enjoy, even though he's not exactly on top of everything anymore.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I quit reading OP a long time ago because I got tired of their reviews on so many things non-photographic. They review clothes, binoculars, shoes, even vehicles (at one point), etc., not to mention computers and printers (as do so many other magazines regarding the latter two items). If I want a review on those non-photographic things, I'll buy fashion, car, and computer magazines!

But the worst thing, as you point out, is their overboard pro-digital bias.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Exactly. OP does have excellent photography. The portfolio in the newest issue on pg. 43. is beautiful photography, and again, the largest photos in those pages are all with film.
    I gave up on that rag years ago; after being a charter subscriber at one time. If you want a good nature photography magazine, that doesn't hate film like OP, get Outdoor Photography, published in the UK.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin