Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,523   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Look on the MMA's website to see what they're showing with regards to photography - they have a substantial collection with great breadth and depth, and they frequently have interesting shows.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Look on the MMA's website to see what they're showing with regards to photography - they have a substantial collection with great breadth and depth, and they frequently have interesting shows.
    My wife and I went last week. The Steichen gallery was closed until sometime this August when a fresh exhibit will open. There was, however, a very large exhibit of work by JoAnn Verburg which was quite worthwhile.

EDIT! Oops.....I'm talking about MoMA here, and not MMA. Sorry.
    Last edited by jovo; 07-31-2007 at 09:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: a 'doh' moment.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Galleries

Don't waste precious little time going to the MOMA. last time I was there; last year; it was a total joke-throngs-no hoardes of people just moving through the galleries. this is no way to appreciate art. stick with the private galleries. pick up a copy of photograph magazine-no just subscribe to it as it covers most of the major stuff in the usa.
    here's a little list for you....
    ICP
    Janet Borden
    Robin Rice
    Soho Photo
    Throckmorton
    Staley Wise
    Aperture
    Sonnabend
    Howard Greenburg
    Museum of the City of New York
    Zabriske
    Some of these are in midtown-the rest downtown where the real people hang out, there is a huge collection of galleries as someone mentioned on the west side of town. there is ALWAYS some great art in the big apple and if you have limited time make sure you check the hours of operation. and forget mondays
    summer schedules may differ...
    good luck,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the list, Peter. I've looked them all up and some of them have outstanding black and white work in their collections.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Galleries

Dave-I was going to put this up yesterday but I'll do it now. My intention was not moma bashing in the least. I seldom if ever post negatively on this or any other site. au contraire moma does have one the most outstanding photo collections in the world. unfortunately the board of directors has chosen commerce over art.
    I used to cut high school and go there. part of my photo education was from actually seeing all the strands; westons; muyerbridge; et al that was hanging on the walls. one could actually stand there and take the time to soak it in. i'm afraid that is no longer the case. the sheer amount of people cruising through the galleries makes it virtually impossible.
    do check out the soho photo gallery. kind of a favorite of mine and the tribeca neighborhood on a sunday morning is wonderful. you can cruise up into soho and get an idea of what those places were like long ago. for brunch try the cupping room in soho. real pancakes with vt. maple syrup.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    Don't waste precious little time going to the MOMA. last time I was there; last year; it was a total joke-throngs-no hoardes of people just moving through the galleries. this is no way to appreciate art.
    It's true that the MoMA can be crowded. What's wonderful about that is that the admission fee is $20, yet there are flocks of folk attending. And they're not just older or younger or whiter or blacker or domestic or foreign or more or less hip....they're all those. It's really quite a treat to see the benches packed in front of a Van Gogh mural with people truly rapt; immersed in the spirit of the gallery. Just try to get some private time with Starry Night! Not likely!

When art is embraced to that extent, I feel optimistic that the culture in this country isn't beyond redemption. People of all descriptions either care or are willing to try to care. I've not felt so buoyant after a museum visit in a long time.

I hope your visit to New York offers you a similar sense of excitement and inspiration.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    MOMA: My wife and I were alone with The David for a few minutes at The Accademia by getting there very early in bad weather & I was alone with the Turners at The Tate for a good 20 minutes! (they weren't actually open yet..this caused some problems..a story for another time).
    The same goes for MOMA..get there when they open and preferably not a Friday and you should be fine. And the when it gets crowded, the people watching is world class too. And check the film schedule-you're entitled to free tickets with admission.
    When you go to ICP: Yum Thai at 129 W. 44th (between 6th and 7th) is cheap and very good as is the hallal chicken stand on the NW corner of
    5th and 44th. The fallafel stand on southeast corner of 46th and 6th is also excellent.
    Have fun
    Victor
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    Dave-I was going to put this up yesterday but I'll do it now. My intention was not moma bashing in the least. I seldom if ever post negatively on this or any other site. au contraire moma does have one the most outstanding photo collections in the world. unfortunately the board of directors has chosen commerce over art.
    I used to cut high school and go there. part of my photo education was from actually seeing all the strands; westons; muyerbridge; et al that was hanging on the walls. one could actually stand there and take the time to soak it in. i'm afraid that is no longer the case. the sheer amount of people cruising through the galleries makes it virtually impossible.
    do check out the soho photo gallery. kind of a favorite of mine and the tribeca neighborhood on a sunday morning is wonderful. you can cruise up into soho and get an idea of what those places were like long ago. for brunch try the cupping room in soho. real pancakes with vt. maple syrup.....
    I will look up both MMA and MOMA and see what's there before I make up my mind. For the right pictures I would brave the crowds.

I looked up the galleries you listed it looks like the Soho gallery is on vacation while we're there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin