Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,244   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Good B&W photo galleres in Manhattan

I will be visting New York City late in August for a few days and would be interested if anyone has any recommendations for galleries I should see. I already plan to visit the International Center for Photography.

I won't have a lot of time, so I am only interested in black and white film photography for this trip.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check out Throckmorton Fine Art (200 block of E 57th, I think). They specialize in vintage and modern Asian and Latin American work. Also worth a look is Bonni Benrubi's gallery, also on E 57th. She may have large color or digital stuff on display, but she does have a commitment to showing film-based traditional printing. When I was up there in the spring she was showing platinum/palladium prints by a photographer named Jed Devine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Check out Throckmorton Fine Art (200 block of E 57th, I think). They specialize in vintage and modern Asian and Latin American work. Also worth a look is Bonni Benrubi's gallery, also on E 57th. She may have large color or digital stuff on display, but she does have a commitment to showing film-based traditional printing. When I was up there in the spring she was showing platinum/palladium prints by a photographer named Jed Devine.
    Not far from where I'll be staying. And they both have websites. How conveninent!

Excellent! It's kind of hard to identify the dates on the red room exhibits at the Bonni Benrubi Gallery, but it looks like they have a couple exhibits that will be perfect.

Throckmorton looks good as well. Even some names I recognize.

Thanks!

-Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave -

Check out this web site. It lists all of the photo galleries in the City and gives you an idea of what they are showing.

http://www.photography-guide.com/

Most of the galleries are clustered in the area between 10th and 11th Avenues, and between 18 and 26th streets. One effective approach in this area is to just walk around, stroll into the galleries to see what they are showing. Note that this is a former warehouse district, and it may be necessary to walk into a building to examine the directory to see what is actually there. Also, be aware that many are on a summer schedule - limited hours and perhaps second-string shows. The galleries aren't all photography - but it doesn't hurt to look at other forms of art.

There are also a few galleries in the few blocks North and South of Canal Street, and along Broadway. In the last few years, a few have relocated to a couple of buildings on 57th Street.

One of my favorites is the John Stevenson Gallery on 23rd Street, just east of 9th Avenue.
    Louie

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    Stevenson Gallery is great, How about MOMA and The Met ?
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    One of my favorites is the John Stevenson Gallery on 23rd Street, just east of 9th Avenue.
    Yes, visit it immediately. See my post about it closing soon.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Most of the galleries are clustered in the area between 10th and 11th Avenues, and between 18 and 26th streets. One effective approach in this area is to just walk around, stroll into the galleries to see what they are showing. Note that this is a former warehouse district, and it may be necessary to walk into a building to examine the directory to see what is actually there. Also, be aware that many are on a summer schedule - limited hours and perhaps second-string shows. The galleries aren't all photography - but it doesn't hurt to look at other forms of art.

There are also a few galleries in the few blocks North and South of Canal Street, and along Broadway. In the last few years, a few have relocated to a couple of buildings on 57th Street.
    The problem is that I will only be there for a few days and want to be as efficient as possible. My primary plan is for this to be a photo expedition, so visiting the galleries is secondary. In any case, given the time crunch, I need to be certain that the galleries I visit will have something to look at. Usually, I think that just means checking them out on the web and giving them a call in advance.

I was in NYC once before when I had more time and managed to browse through the warehouse district you're referring to. In fact, I still have a stack of business cards from there. I have more time on that trip, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Vic View Post
    Stevenson Gallery is great, How about MOMA and The Met ?
    I can tell you for sure that I will be going to MOMA. I think they've had a major renovation since I was there last and MOMA caters more to my interests. I'm not sure about the MMA. Oddly enough, I may not go there just because I know I could never get out in less than a whole day. haha!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Yes, visit it immediately. See my post about it closing soon.
    I will give them a call. Their website doesn't have a schedule for what's showing there. They do have a list of artists, though. Very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the Paula Barr gallery in grenwich village, at least a few years ago, had wonderful b&w images...especially her own iconic images of NYC and lovely portraits. She has gotten into other things...some that are very interesting and also patented. check out her web at: paulabarr.com
    PaulaBarr Studio
    west chelsea arts building
    508/526 west 26th street

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin