Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,649   Online: 688

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

John Stevenson Gallery to close

Today I have heard that the John Stevenson Gallery in NYC will be closing due to an enormous rent hike that apparently is unsustainable. If that is true, and I wouldn't be reporting this if the sources were not reliable, it is a sad, sad day for lovers of alt process, and traditional photography who had, in John Stevenson, a knowledgeable and excellent representative. My wife and I visited the gallery almost every time we got into the city, and Mr. Stevenson was always cordial and welcoming. We got to see the work of wonderful photographers including most recently, Imogen Cunningham, Kuichiro Kurita, Cy DeCosse, and many others in generously spacious presentations. The gallery was probably the most elegant venue in which I've ever seen photographs. It will be sorely missed indeed!

It is rumored that the gallery may eventually open in New Mexico. Should that happen, you guys out there are really, really lucky! I hope it comes to pass and remains the premier gallery for alternative process and traditional photography that it has always been.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    This is very sad news for me.
    It's the nicest gallery I've ever seen with wonderful alt process and vintage silver print shows and John has always been kind, engaging and forthcoming even when it was clear no sale was going to be made. It's a huge huge loss. Get there before they close and see something you may not see again in NYC.
    Holga: if it was any more analog, you'd need a chisel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be very sad indeed. The Stevenson gallery had a track record of showing outstanding work in what was one of the most attractive galleries in New York.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I have heard from multiple dealers it is true. John Stevenson is becoming a private dealer. From what I understand his overhead is huge and I guess if he has sufficient collectors as clients his gallery space becomes a very high and unnecessary expense. It's a shame as it is a great gallery, all we can do is wish him well in his new incarnation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Today I have heard that the John Stevenson Gallery in NYC will be closing due to an enormous rent hike that apparently is unsustainable. If that is true, and I wouldn't be reporting this if the sources were not reliable, it is a sad, sad day for lovers of alt process, and traditional photography who had, in John Stevenson, a knowledgeable and excellent representative. My wife and I visited the gallery almost every time we got into the city, and Mr. Stevenson was always cordial and welcoming. We got to see the work of wonderful photographers including most recently, Imogen Cunningham, Kuichiro Kurita, Cy DeCosse, and many others in generously spacious presentations. The gallery was probably the most elegant venue in which I've ever seen photographs. It will be sorely missed indeed!

It is rumored that the gallery may eventually open in New Mexico. Should that happen, you guys out there are really, really lucky! I hope it comes to pass and remains the premier gallery for alternative process and traditional photography that it has always been.
    John has closed the gallery and will operate as a private dealer from Mexico. You will, however, still be able to view the collection in NYC but only by appointment and at a different address. Will Story, his assistant curator, will be handling everything there. A sad, but understandable situation.

Keith.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stevenson has been one of my favorite galleries for some time. This is quite unfortunate. In New York, alas, it's always about real estate.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin