Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,551   Online: 824

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nelson-Atkins exhibit: Hallmark collection?

Hi all - just wondering if anyone attended the recent photo show at the Nelson Atkins in Kansas City, MO - it features photos from the recently acquired Hallmark collection. Reviews, anyone? http://www.nelson-atkins.org/art/Photography.cfm
    Was also wondering if the catalogue was good - my local libraries don't have it yet, wondering if I should pick one up online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I absolutely love it and visited three times in the first two weeks it was open. There's a broad range of work, from a prominent display of Harry Callahan's work, to individual works from Edward Weston, Avedon, Steichen, Dorothea Lange, etc; such a comprehensive collection. Only a portion of the entire holding is displayed at a time, so the gallery isn't huge by any means, but they do rotate every three months or so. I think they're due around the beginning of October. It is, however, plenty to satisfy if you're actually looking at the prints instead of doing the gallery power-walk.

Its most definitely worth the time to go see this collection! Maybe I'm so excited about it because we don't have this calibur of gallery come through Kansas City often, but I've been thoroughly impressed. Enjoy!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My wife and I took my parents to see the exhibit on the 21st and absolutely loved it. Neither of my parents are photographers, but they both were impressed. We spent about two hours going through the exhibit and could have easily stayed longer. I seem to remember reading the current exhibit will be on display until 30 Dec 07 at which time they will rotate in different photos. f/stopblues is spot on with his evaluation. It's difinitely worth visiting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I drove down a few weeks ago and was really blown away by the new Bloch addition. Wonderful space and lighting for their modern and contemporary collection of art. I enjoyed the Hallmark collection of Dags (I think they have the largest collection in the world with the exception of George Eastman House) and the new dedicated photography gallery is very good. I will head down again this fall after they have rennovated the upstairs galleries in the Nelson-Atkins building and reinstalled the American modern works up there.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin